Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone help me out with the proper way to adjust a ladderbar setup?I have the double adjustable type from chassis eng. and coilovers.The car has been under constuction and I have lost my instructions.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I set ride height then set lower bar Parallel to the Ground(Flat Surface) then use the adj. at the rear to set Pinion Angle.0-3 Degree's.

You can tune it from there.
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I left out,Use the Front Hiem joints to get the rear wheelbase strait.Good to work off the Centerline of the Car,but you could use the lower Ball Joints to measure.Problem with that way,if one lower Control arm is setback,the Car wont drive Straight.
Joe

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Joe said:
I set ride height then set lower bar Parallel to the Ground
(I'm asking from an educational POV & not a smarta*s.....)

Why ?

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Mike Weddle
Senior Sales Technician
Chris Alston's Chassisworks
After Reading your Signature I do not think you want Education from me on this,but I wont call you a Smarta$$ either.
Just the Way I learned to do it Years ago.Might not be correct,but it does work.
That being said,I do it that way because you need to set Ride Height anyway,right?
Some think that setting the Lower Bar on the Ladder bar Level is Neutral,then if you raise the front one hole it Hits the Tire Harder,One Hole lower Softens.Might not be correct,but it works.

Did you pull me into a Trap?
Joe

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
:)
Don't look at it as a trap, it's more of a chance to expand you mind.

A ladder suspension works or functions based on the relationships between
the tire contact patch, the intersect point ( front ladder bar pivot ), & the
car's center of gravity.

The bottom bar angle is only used to diagnose the height of the front pivot...
most racers, when they call me , have not measured anything.

Here's 2 examples....
a stocker with a 27" tall tire, 500 hp, center of gravity of 24" ...the pivot should be maybe 8"-9" off the ground, but with bottom bar level, it would 6 1/2". (too low )

a tube chassis car, 33" tire , 700 hp, c.g of 18"... the pivot should be
should be 4-5" off the ground, but bottom bar level would be 9 1/2".( too high)

mind expansion point.......the correct answer has a few variables to consider.

However, your thought on ladder bar adjustment & tire hit is dead nuts correct.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Mike W,
Thanks for the Chance to Expand my Mind,That is allways a Good Thing.I also do See your Point and Understand it.I actually Printed your Reply and put it with my Chassis info.
Here is a Question for you.Do you believe that the Appoximate Height of Center of Gravity is the Measurement from Ground to Center of Crankshaft.Or is there to many Variables for that?
Thanks,Joe

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Every one I know uses the camshaft as the center of gravity.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Real McCoy,
Thanks for the Reply,Crankshaft,camshaft?I could be Mistaken,it has been 11 Years since I have done a Backhalf Car.
Joe

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Joe said:
Mike W,
Here is a Question for you.Do you believe that the Appoximate Height of Center of Gravity is the Measurement from Ground to Center of Crankshaft.Or is there to many Variables for that?
Thanks,Joe
for most " normal " passenger car, the camshaft is typically used as a center of gravity.

remember, theories are guidelines..what ever change you make, if it makes the car go faster, do it !

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Mike W,
Thanks for the info.Camshaft is what I used as a Guideline last time,sometimes I forget what I did.
Joe

·
Registered
508 Posts
:)
Don't look at it as a trap, it's more of a chance to expand you mind.

A ladder suspension works or functions based on the relationships between
the tire contact patch, the intersect point ( front ladder bar pivot ), & the
car's center of gravity.

The bottom bar angle is only used to diagnose the height of the front pivot...
most racers, when they call me , have not measured anything.

Here's 2 examples....
a stocker with a 27" tall tire, 500 hp, center of gravity of 24" ...the pivot should be maybe 8"-9" off the ground, but with bottom bar level, it would 6 1/2". (too low )

a tube chassis car, 33" tire , 700 hp, c.g of 18"... the pivot should be
should be 4-5" off the ground, but bottom bar level would be 9 1/2".( too high)

mind expansion point.......the correct answer has a few variables to consider.

However, your thought on ladder bar adjustment & tire hit is dead nuts correct.
so what is the formula to figure out where a good starting point would be off of the C.G. point? or is there one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts