Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share some maybe helpful info on this install. I read That the transmission tunnel would be so high you could use it for a cup holder, well that’s not true. That’s what I read on this site (Not true) and that it’s not a good idea to go with a 6L80 trans but that’s what I wanted so here are some pictures. I hope this will help out someone. Don’t hesitate to ask a question if you need help, if I can help I’m always available and any info I give will be from my own experience not hear say. I have owned close to 30 of these old rides over the past 45 years and have done a lot of crazy **** them. Sorry Pictures are upside down for some reason
4096D14A-B7F7-4956-845F-60F8D50FC6EA.jpeg

·
Registered
385 Posts
I put a L76 and 6L80 ( from an '08 G8 GT) in my '67 sedan with NO cutting of the tunnel. Everyone says it can't be done, but I did it. If you use the motor mounts that move the engine forward 1 1/2" you won't have to cut the tunnel. I custom made the transmission mount, and fabricated an adapter at the transmission to eliminate the two piece driveshaft. The whole think took extensive engineering, but turned out exactly the way I wanted. With elimination of the DOD in the engine, and a stage one camshaft, lifters, rockers, etc I believe I am putting down 425 to 450 hp to the ground. What a ride!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amen on the what a ride!! My engine is moved forward a little bit also, and I made an aluminum adapter for the driveshaft, looking back I wish I could have found a truck trans with slip joint. Just goes to show if you want it in there and have ability, tools and time you can do it. BTW I have no reason to ever need anymore power than what mine has. It’s a hand full

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm just curious, how does the rear suspension travel up and down without a slip joint in the drive line? Do you have an independent rear end or are you still on leafs?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I custom machined a plate at the output shaft of the transmission, and fabricated a universal joint with a slip yolk. I know it sounds nearly impossible, but I did it. If I could figure out how to upload a picture from my phone, I would attach one. Give me a couple of days, I'll take a picture, and see if I can figure it out. Otherwise, I do know how to text a picture, if someone would like to post it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just curious, how does the rear suspension travel up and down without a slip joint in the drive line? Do you have an independent rear end or are you still on leafs?
I used a slip joint from a ford ranger(had a custom driveshaft made) it’s still on leafs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts