Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
13,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Bob,

You seem to be one of the most knowledgeable historians on here. Is it safe to say that if an RPO wasn't involved in any type of COPO stuff and isn't in an assembly manual, then it wasn't offered in the car? If it isn't, can anybody think of an example where it isn't the case?
The jury is still out on whether there were any L89 Novas built. The ones being promoted as L89 cars haven't convinced the experts. Until somebody comes up with a legitimate build sheet, POP, factory invoice, etc. that has RPO L89 on it, I believe the doubt will persist. If there are any, they may, or may not, have come through the COPO network.
As for Asssembly Manuals, they're wonderful sources of info for things that made it into the cars. Unfortunately, they also contain all kinds of stuff that never made into production (V/8 engines and 4 speeds in 63's, for example). Conversely, some things that did get produced didn't make it into the AM's, especially if they were introduced late in the production year.

Bob

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Does anyone know what actually happened to the supposed 1 of None black 70 Nova L-89 that was for sale at Russo-Steele and got damaged in the storm that took the tent down........

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
Well it's been 2yrs, it's prolly long gone!:yes:

·
13,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Does anyone know what actually happened to the supposed 1 of None black 70 Nova L-89 that was for sale at Russo-Steele and got damaged in the storm that took the tent down........
It wasn't badly damaged and went across the block when the auction resumed on the Sunday. It was bid to $135,000, but didn't sell. There is still huge controversy about whether this car is 'real' or not.

Bob

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
It wasn't badly damaged and went across the block when the auction resumed on the Sunday. It was bid to $135,000, but didn't sell. There is still huge controversy about whether this car is 'real' or not.

Bob
Not really a controversy.............Ever see a 396 block with 074 heads from the factory.........GM never made a piston for that combo.......I talked with the owner at the time (not the most informed guy around)and he said he had documentation (never showed it to anyone) that these were the heads that came on the car from the factory and they were taken off the engine for the first time at Legendary.......He probably bought the car with that story attached and Legendary was more than Happy to take his money to restore the car....Imagine That!!

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I find it Amazing that this car is still presented as a real car.........But.....Who am I to judge because I'm just a Car guy and not in it for the Money end of the Hobby.........
This particular car was put in for Judging at the Nova Nationals some years ago ............Not mentioning any names.......the Judge ("Very" qualified) told the owner at the time (a real piece of work) that rather than embarass himself with his "Just" restored (by Legendary) car, maybe it would be better if he withdrew the car from Judging........which he did.......
There is a lot of behind the scenes info on that car.........Buyer "BEWARE"...........But.....There are people out there with more Money than Brains and during there is a reason the Auction houses serve liquor and highlight the Bidders on TV.........LOL

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
What is worse, is this car has a lot of incorrect parts on it too, for this kind of money it should be restored with NOS and or exact replacement parts, not with whatever fits.:turn:

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Legendary should be ashamed of themselves over this Car...........But.....It just comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
3 Posts
First, there were no L89 Novas built, then there was one, then two and now here's another that's surfaced. As someone stated on the Yenko site, 'in 10 years this car will be one of fifty.' Maybe when the owner get his $125,000 :rolleyes:, he'll be able to buy a decent camera. The pics of the paperwork are illegible. Another interesting development is that a pic of the cowl tag has been removed since I first saw this ad early this morning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nova...cks?hash=item27abba0050&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Bob
Well I owned one. Bought it used in November 1971 from Sandpoint Motors in Sandpoint Id. 1970 with a 402 of course. Only had just over 3000 miles on it. It was an L89. I had to replace an exhaust valve. The heads were aluminum and it had an aluminum intake and solid lifters, had to adjust them all the time. I remember seeing "sp hi perf" cast under the valve cover on one of the intake runners. It had the "Rock crusher" 4 spd, 12 bolt rear at 3.73:1. In SS trim it had a bench seat no buckets. Car is still around but the present owner took the big block and 4 spd out and replaced with a small block and auto trans years ago. If I only knew. I am still kicking myself in the ass for getting rid of it. They were tying to sell it now. They put another big block back in but I dont know what it is and the auto trans is still in it. They wanted 34k for it but told them its worth a lot less without the original L89 and 4 spd. I offered 7500 but they turned it down. Oh well.
Another Bob

·
13,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The legend of the L89 Nova will be decided one way or the other when someone comes forward with bullet proof documentation. This must be a legitimate build sheet, POP, dealer order or original window sticker. Even then, the legitimacy of such documentation would be suspect. A certified declaration on GM letterhead stating yes or no would be the ultimate piece of evidence and that's not going to happen. The beat goes on.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Think maybe that it's possible somebody added the Aluminum heads......... like all the others ????
Cant think of why someone would put aluminum heads on then trade it off after maybe a year for a pickup. Certainly at that time nobody was trying to bastardize one into an L89 only to do a trade in since the iron head version ran just as good. I would think he had no idea what one would be worth 45 years later. He would of kept it. If I knew that then I sure as hell would of. But oh well.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Here's a picture of my 70 Nova I restored 15 years ago........ Is it a L-89 ??? .......... No...... But I wanted it to appear that way but never told anyone it was original......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Believe what you want......... Documentation is proof..... Those Pesky facts !!!!!
Yeah i realize the importance of the documentation. I do have a question would the VIN of the Nova I had reveal the build. I am going to get the VIN if that is enough.
Another Bob

·
13,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah i realize the importance of the documentation. I do have a question would the VIN of the Nova I had reveal the build. I am going to get the VIN if that is enough.
Another Bob
All the VIN will tell you is whether the car was a six cylinder (11327) or V/8 (11427). It contains no info on the size of engine or type of other drive train components.

Also Bob

21 - 40 of 40 Posts