Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, there were no L89 Novas built, then there was one, then two and now here's another that's surfaced. As someone stated on the Yenko site, 'in 10 years this car will be one of fifty.' Maybe when the owner get his $125,000 :rolleyes:, he'll be able to buy a decent camera. The pics of the paperwork are illegible. Another interesting development is that a pic of the cowl tag has been removed since I first saw this ad early this morning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nova...cks?hash=item27abba0050&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Bob

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't know of anyone who has inspected this car that has any credibility. I'd suggest a independent group to objectivley try to ascertain the truth of his claim. Let's see what ya got.:)

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I know that in the Corvette world, an L89 is an aluminum head 427, not a 396, AND was available from 1967 to 1969, not 1970.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Power steering you could have, they even had a special deep groove pulley for the SHP cars, but you couldn't get air conditioning due to the high rpm nature of the engines and requires steep rear end gearing.

·
Registered
905 Posts
In the Camaro, Chevelle world an L89 is a 396/w al heads.
I've seen/judged the blk one. My personal belief is that it was not assembled at the factory with the pieces that now are on the car.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I think super chevy did a review onthe black car . I agree there is always a story with these one of one cars , i can not wait to hear it either . :notworthy::notworthy::salute::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I know that in the Corvette world, an L89 is an aluminum head 427, not a 396, AND was available from 1967 to 1969, not 1970.
I think the aluminum head 427 in a vette was a L88
The L89 was actually an option for an option, if that makes sense. You could order an L71, which was a 427/435 HP (three deuces, solid lifters). The L89 option was aluminum heads instead of the cast heads. HP ratings were the same.

The L88 was an all together separate option.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
The L89 was actually an option for an option, if that makes sense. You could order an L71, which was a 427/435 HP (three deuces, solid lifters). The L89 option was aluminum heads instead of the cast heads. HP ratings were the same.

The L88 was an all together separate option.

Hate to dis-agree with you....But...All L89's were basically 396-375 H.P. engines with (closed chamber)#842 Aluminum heads and "Not" 427's....

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hate to dis-agree with you....But...All L89's were basically 396-375 H.P. engines with (closed chamber)#842 Aluminum heads and "Not" 427's....

Ken
I was talking about Corvettes.:)

·
Registered
905 Posts
The most glaring issue, aside from credibility, is that both the blk, and silver cars have 074 al heads. I'm sure the blk one does, and it looks like the silver one does too. That is mechanically redundant. :no:

·
Registered
234 Posts

Ken
In Camaros and Chevelles, yes. In Corvettes, L89 was a 427. You could only get a 396 in a 1965 Corvette, but you could get aluminum heads on a big block Corvette from '67 through '69. There were, IIRC, rumors of a very few '70 Corvettes with aluminum-headed 454's, but for all intents and purposes L89 in a Corvette applies to the 427.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey Bob,

Have any of you seen the Cortez Silver in a magazine? Which issue was it?

I found the link for the 1970 Black L78/L89 Nova in Hemmings Muscle Machines-June 2008-#57.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2008/06/01/hmn_feature14.html

This article stated it had a CKT block stamp.:no:
The car was restored by Legendary Motor Cars, Toronto (Peter Klutt of Dream Car Garage fame).:rolleyes:
It has the Protect-O-Plate, but these can be bought on Ebay from Florida.:(

I looked for the Cortez Silver Nova, never saw it in my database of magazine articles that go back to 1997.

Gary

·
Registered
124 Posts
The dead giveaway that this car is a fake is the actual VIN stamp on the block. It looks NOTHING like any ORIGINAL VIN stamp for a 70 Nova BB on file, it is way off and the stamp on the trans is staggered. Not only a fake, but a bad one that somebody spent too much **** to build. This car has been for sale for a bunch of years now and no suckers have stepped up yet.?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
My 1970 Assembly Manual went with my car when I sold it, but I don't believe there is any L89 info in it.

Bob
Bob,

You seem to be one of the most knowledgeable historians on here. Is it safe to say that if an RPO wasn't involved in any type of COPO stuff and isn't in an assembly manual, then it wasn't offered in the car? If it isn't, can anybody think of an example where it isn't the case?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts