1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
14,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I would leave it alone also :yes:

I noticed its missing the belt line molding on the side(s)....

·
Registered
987 Posts
This thing is cool! My vote is to leave it alone too. I would just give it a thorough cleaning and enjoy it for what it is. Not sure what kind of $ value to assign to it.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
YEAH THAT'S HISTORY THERE, MUCH AS I LIKE RESTORING, I'D LEAVE IT BE TOO! :yes:

·
Registered
871 Posts
How can you not like this car....just the way it is. The stories it could tell. Born to race. Factory two tone originally....Tropic Turquoise with a white top. I'm sure the door jamb VIN plate matches the engine pad. The 4 speed is coded on the cowl tag. Too neat to restore. Leave it alone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966...3040416?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4606473420

Bob

So what do you think it will bring for money??? I would love to have that car! Drive it just the way it is!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
For me, it would have to be in a little better shape to leave it. I often agree when Mike LaJoy says, it's only original once. The car is a little far gone and deserves to be returned to it's prior prominence. :yes: JMO

·
Registered
931 Posts
L79

This car sold 2 years ago for 9000. Guy had no idea what he had it was listed on ebay for 5 mins. It is a cool car but whats it worth...... I know of an ALL original aztec bronze L79 sport coupe will add docs for 40k. The paint and interior is very nice for age. Dont get me wrong this blue car is KILLER but value?? high teens low 20's?

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I was just looking on Ebay at this car and then I found this thread. That looks to be a very solid car. Super candidate for restoration. I like it a lot.:yes:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The shifter must have been changed, it isn't correct for a bench seat car.
X2 and those look like "Big Tube" headers. In the 70's my first Red67 had "Kustom" 1 7/8" fender wells :eek: Will have to get out some old pictures and compare.
Sweet old savior,,bet she's never even been "speed shifted":sleep: :rolleyes:

:devil:

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
L79

I JUST spoke with the guy on the phone.
I live right down the road about 30 minutes.
They have about 8 or 9 novas he tells me, and some 69 camaros.
they want $25K for THIS car.
I think this is a little high. I would offer him $15K.
he said he was talking to people looking at the car as I was talking with him on the phone.
they were trying to look at it for a guy in Maryland.
man... news on these cars spreads fast!
cant I find a sweet deal just once?!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Looking at the old 70's pic's they're not the Kustoms. Looks like Hookers :yes:
BTW,,I had forgotten how much room the 1 7/8" tubes took up.

Now let's talk about the ol Lakewood slap bars,,,,,:D

:devil:

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
YEAH THAT'S HISTORY THERE, MUCH AS I LIKE RESTORING, I'D LEAVE IT BE TOO! :yes:

LONG ENOUGH TIL I GET THAT ITCH AGAIN! THEN I'D HAVE TO BRING IT BACK TO IT'S FORMER GLORY. I'D TRY TO USE EVERY ORIGINAL PART POSSIBLE! :yes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had two L79 Novas over the years, the price on this one is getting quite ripe for car needing a resto. JMO

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just think how many of these and other rare cars in this shape did not get a second look during the gas shortage in 1973. Love the car and would keep it like it is for 5 years so everyone could see it ........then I could not resist.

bg

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
The shifter must have been changed, it isn't correct for a bench seat car.
If you take a close look at the photo, the shifter appears to have been heated with a torch and bent. Shifter mods like that weren't uncommon back then... One of my buddies bought a '69 Mach 1 428 SCJ out of F*rd's executive pool - it had a Hurst shifter with a handle that had been shortened by someone at F*rd!

BTW, the L79 is at $28,300 with 2 1/2 days remaining. I'm guessing that it will hit at least $32K. High? Yes, but finding a numbers-matching '66 L79 that hasn't been restored is all but impossible today...

·
14,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you take a close look at the photo, the shifter appears to have been heated with a torch and bent. Shifter mods like that weren't uncommon back then... One of my buddies bought a '69 Mach 1 428 SCJ out of F*rd's executive pool - it had a Hurst shifter with a handle that had been shortened by someone at F*rd!

BTW, the L79 is at $28,300 with 2 1/2 days remaining. I'm guessing that it will hit at least $32K. High? Yes, but finding a numbers-matching '66 L79 that hasn't been restored is all but impossible today...
The 4 speed shifter wasn't a very good design for benchseat cars. If you had short legs and needed the seat pushed forward too much, the shifter would frequently mash into the seat finding 2nd and 4th. Many of them got straightened out like this one, especially if the car was raced.

Agree with you Dave. Any unrestored L79 is a rare breed these days. Even more so if it's a Sport Coupe.

Bob

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i'd 86 the shifter, they were never really that great of a unit... i'd also fix the carb return spring and lengthen the slapper bars so they hit the spring eye...

i think just a general overall clean up and maybe some interior repairs and it'd be good to go...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts