Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
14,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! This was a 10 year old car when it was parked. Not much to prove it's an L79. The 3782461 heads shown were also used in 275 HP cars with different valve size. No engine
compartment or cowl tag pictures. From the pictures shown, it appears every piece of this car needs restoration, some to a greater extent than others. Without documented
proof it's an L79, there's no point in even considering a restoration. If the drive train is restorable, it could go into a good body for a real nice L79 clone.

1966 Chevrolet nova SS | eBay

Bob

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
915 Posts
I have a picture of the block stamp and suffix code. It appears to be an L79 but its rough. Missing intake, carb and air cleaner. Seller is a dreamer, he had it sold for more than most would pay for it and when guy came to get it he backed out of deal and raised price. It started at $52,000 and went to $22,000 and back up to $39,000. I made him an offer on it and he countered at $28,000. Going to take $50K to restore it back to original condition (or more). I have a ton of pictures that were sent to me. It is on most of the Facebook nova pages. Hes is looking for a sucker

Reactions: AllyMcReal

·
Registered
915 Posts
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--2015929124.jpeg

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
1,007 Posts
Isn't that the truth. Not much in the description and nothing to prove L79 other than the pictures of the engine stamp EM3 posted.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
i've lived in michigan all my life an i do say are winters will eat them up. did you see the rear ratchet strap hooked to the bolt for the tank strap. that should hold real good.

Reactions: kcmocarguy

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
last three posts were all about the same time so you may have not seen it but look up two posts
ya i saw that we were looking at the same picture i guess. man it's almost a crime what has been done to the nova, it was sure a fine car back many years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
Way too much rust. Must have gotten wet while it was stored. What a shame. I guess it was a case of ‘I’m going to restore it someday’.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
that doesn't look like a 1975-era tach to me. can anyone confirm this? has that 90's or so Autometer look to it with the silver outside ring. not that it affects anything, just wondering...

-Rusty
I was thinking the same. It’s a 90s era tach.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That's a rusty one for sure. Why no pictures of the motor?

·
Registered
1963 Chevrolet II Nova SS
667 Posts
Well, I don't see any moth damage to the car so the box of mothballs in the trunk kept this from being a total loss.

I don't see a single panel that can be saved. Every panel will need to come off to repair all the hidden rust.
@ $75 an hour, paint and bodywork will be an easy $35-50k.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Well, I don't see any moth damage to the car so the box of mothballs in the trunk kept this from being a total loss.

I don't see a single panel that can be saved. Every panel will need to come off to repair all the hidden rust.
@ $75 an hour, paint and bodywork will be an easy $35-50k.
For sure. Easier to buy an L79 all done. Scotty Payne will sell his for less than the cost to restore this one

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
You know, every time I think this way, too much rust, then someone comes along and is able to totally and appropriately fix all the damage and bring a car back. I agree with you, but I'm from CA and any rust is a rusty car. Michiganders have brought back worse.

·
Registered
915 Posts
You know, every time I think this way, too much rust, then someone comes along and is able to totally and appropriately fix all the damage and bring a car back. I agree with you, but I'm from CA and any rust is a rusty car. Michiganders have brought back worse.
It can be fixed. I made him an offer that I thought was fair for the market knowing I need to spend $5000-7000 just for the correct intake, carb, air cleaner and shifter and completely restore the car. His counter offer was WAY WAY too much for the amount of money and time needed so I passed. It can definately be fixed. Makes me wonder how much of the car will be left after dipping or stripping the car

·
Registered
325 Posts
I hand stripped the entire outside of my car and then had underneath/trunk etc sand blasted
The guy doing the blasting continued to comment on how amazing the condition was....car came from Cal, had no trim or interior but body was truly 95% rust free

he did tell me many stories of cars that undisturbed looked ok, but after some work to clean rust there was almost nothing left
risk is just from pics there is no idea how much metal is within the rust

1 - 19 of 19 Posts