Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
15,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go figure on this one. See if you can sort out what's going on here. Billed as an L79, but nowhere does it say it was born that way. Has 13,000 original miles on it. Seller says the drivetrain is numbers matching and has 235 miles on it. Car is an original 4 speed. It was factory Sandalwood Tan with Cameo Beige top. Can count on a couple of fingers on one hand how many L79 SS two tones I've ever seen. Has a rear antenna coded on the cowl tag, but no sign of any antenna for the radio. Appears to have a fan spacer not a clutch fan. The gold bucket seat back trim is a new one for me. Rear window door jamb seals appear to be home made. I have some theories, but love to hear yours.

1966 Chevrolet Nova L79 SS | eBay

Bob

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Giving the owner the benefit of the doubt and all is legit, could the car have been raced from new with original drivetrain taken out at 235 miles and saved? I know of a gentleman with a Canadian documented L79 who has his original 327 pulled and mothballed and a 350 installed to drive.
Car looks very nice, not my favorite colour scheme, but to each their own. The 8" harmonic balancer and clutch fan are gone for sure, but I think the seats look correct other than the gold trim, but maybe that's what they did with the tan interior? Not sure why they would install redline tires on a '66 though.
Also makes no mention of having any documents to prove its heritage.

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
There are no photos of the block stamp, carb, VIN or chassis. The jack is missing. There's a radio, but no antenna.
So, here's my theory: The car was bought new and raced. It was a northern Ohio car, so it probably either got hit on the right rear or there was simply too much rust on the rear quarters to make them worth saving; either of which would account for the missing antenna. It probably got stuck in a barn for years and critters ruined the seats (it appears to have a whole new interior kit...). The Super Sport trim on the glove box door sometimes yellows with age, but the gold seat trim was likely replaced due to damage - it doesn't appear to be the correct width. The redline tires are just a 'thing' with some people - they think any hot car from the '60s should have them. Thank goodness it doesn't have white letters. The fan/spacer difference doesn't surprise me - those old clutch fans often get discarded. At least the person who replaced it used the proper spacer.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
We're taking stabs in the dark here, OK?

The cowl tag was born a 2L car. Those rivets have been replaced. There is no documentation for the car, only the story that it was purchased from a particular dealer in Ohio and purchased again from the original owner. You'd think that the OE would have some documents to that effect, but either they don't and we're supposed to believe it was ordered and made this way or they do, and it's not any L79. A close look in person would reveal any evidence of resonators being hung on the car, correct fuel line and routing, factory floor hump installation and a host of other clues. Again, if it were as original as claimed, we'd get the block stamp numbers, trans/diff stamps and the rest. That's not to say it isn't a cool car just the way it sits and very rare for the two-tone paint, but there are a ton of questions.

My guess? It was a 283 4-speed SS. If it were truly a raced car, can you imagine a buyer who wanted to take the car to the strip right away ordering that color combo on top of everything else? As there is no mention of drivetrain date codes, numbers or stamps, I'm guessing this car is trying to pass for one L79. That in and of itself isn't bad, but calling it an original L79 without much to go on and suspect cowl tag riveting raises red flags. As for the quarters being replaced, Ohio cars, even low mile ones, rust, and I suspect this car had the aftermarket lower brown rally stripe added due to salted roads. An in-person visit would be absolutely necessary, and perhaps an attempt to get its true origins from the Corvette people running VIN numbers from '66 on. That's my guess and I stick to it.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
We're taking stabs in the dark here, OK?

The cowl tag was born a 2L car. Those rivets have been replaced. There is no documentation for the car, only the story that it was purchased from a particular dealer in Ohio and purchased again from the original owner. You'd think that the OE would have some documents to that effect, but either they don't and we're supposed to believe it was ordered and made this way or they do, and it's not any L79. A close look in person would reveal any evidence of resonators being hung on the car, correct fuel line and routing, factory floor hump installation and a host of other clues. Again, if it were as original as claimed, we'd get the block stamp numbers, trans/diff stamps and the rest. That's not to say it isn't a cool car just the way it sits and very rare for the two-tone paint, but there are a ton of questions.

My guess? It was a 283 4-speed SS. If it were truly a raced car, can you imagine a buyer who wanted to take the car to the strip right away ordering that color combo on top of everything else? As there is no mention of drivetrain date codes, numbers or stamps, I'm guessing this car is trying to pass for one L79. That in and of itself isn't bad, but calling it an original L79 without much to go on and suspect cowl tag riveting raises red flags. As for the quarters being replaced, Ohio cars, even low mile ones, rust, and I suspect this car had the aftermarket lower brown rally stripe added due to salted roads. An in-person visit would be absolutely necessary, and perhaps an attempt to get its true origins from the Corvette people running VIN numbers from '66 on. That's my guess and I stick to it.
I thought the same about the cowl tag rivets, but after looking at mine, they are the same rivets, albeit not nearly as clean and new looking as these.

·
15,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't believe it was originally an L79. This ad would be written from a very different standpoint if it was, even if the writer was inexperienced at formulating 'for sale' ads. No where does it say it's an original L79. If it was, he'd be touting every single feature that would prove it. Seller says he bought it from the original owner, but doesn't mention the owner could attest to it's heritage. If the drivetrain is original, but removed from the car in it's infancy and put back in, the seller would be saying that and giving the numbers to prove it. I believe the whole numbers matching drivetrain assertion is just the sellers lack of awareness about what numbers matching means. He's likely scored the original drivetrain components from an L79 and because they all came from the same car, he's saying they match each other. The whole ad just doesn't come across as someone trying to sell the sizzle of a real 13,000 mile L79 with it's virtually new drivetrain just pulled out of storage.

I'm with Ally's comment above that it probably was born a 4 speed 283, or perhaps an L30. Looks like the eBayers aren't buying the story either, as bidding has only gone up $100 since yesterday. Will be fun to watch.

Bob

Reactions: AllyMcReal

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Numbers matching could mean the drivetrain is all out of another car. And oft discussed on this site are the operators out there selling VIN and cowl tag rivets and tools to make it look perfectly stock. The rivets are straight up new. Bob correctly notes the thing the ad DOESN'T say but could and should if it were all legit. Lies of omission are sometimes harder to detect, especially if you're coveting something you really want. Also, that closely removed from the original owner and there are no original purchase docs or POP? Not worth nothing, but it isn't what it's implied to be either.

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
1,163 Posts
Beautiful car. Current bid is a good buy for the current market. Too much guessing and speculation on this car here by people who have zero intentions of buying it otherwise someone would have already called for documentation. Just because someone doesn't have sales skills doesn't mean they are misleading or deceiving. I'm in sales and see professionals daily who are about as bad as this seller the way they present things. This car tempts me, I may call him and report back

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Beautiful car. Current bid is a good buy for the current market. Too much guessing and speculation on this car here by people who have zero intentions of buying it otherwise someone would have already called for documentation. Just because someone doesn't have sales skills doesn't mean they are misleading or deceiving. I'm in sales and see professionals daily who are about as bad as this seller the way they present things. This car tempts me, I may call him and report back
You make some very valid points. As far as the missing and/or incorrect components, they can be had and replaced. Perhaps the owner does have some documentation, and the numbers do match the VIN, but does not realize how important these are to the authenticity of the car, and has overlooked placing that in the advertisement. It could be a real diamond in the rough. A simple phone call would probably clear the air somewhat.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You make some very valid points. As far as the missing and/or incorrect components, they can be had and replaced. Perhaps the owner does have some documentation, and the numbers do match the VIN, but does not realize how important these are to the authenticity of the car, and has overlooked placing that in the advertisement. It could be a real diamond in the rough. A simple phone call would probably clear the air somewhat.
I spoke with him. He is sending the information to me

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
EM3, glad you called on the documentation. And I agree that the current price is great in the current market, but who knows what the reserve will be. Hope the docs are what you are after, and good luck on the bidding.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
EM3, glad you called on the documentation. And I agree that the current price is great in the current market, but who knows what the reserve will be. Hope the docs are what you are after, and good luck on the bidding.
I believe it's legit. Already blew past my limit so I'm out

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
More than mention, did he show you any? And why wouldn't he advertise that to solidify the originality to the prospective buyers? At any rate, at that kind of money, I can't imagine buying a car I hadn't looked over in person first.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
More than mention, did he show you any? And why wouldn't he advertise that to solidify the originality to the prospective buyers? At any rate, at that kind of money, I can't imagine buying a car I hadn't looked over in person first.
I saw the block stamp numbers. Looked legit. After it got past my highest bid amount I called and told him I didn't need any more info. He doesn't have the POP.
It's pretty common for these sellers to suck at advertising. There is a nova parts guy on Facebook that claims to have tons of parts but won't show a picture of them and tried to get a sale on the phone. I've bought some nice cars and parts from guys who stink at advertising. My 66 was on Craigslist forever, the ad made it look terrible and had little info. Something made me take the 4 hour ride and I'm glad I did, the car was amazing in person

·
15,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How hard is it? '13,000 mile 1966 L79 Nova SS. Original drivetrain removed at 235 miles and just put back in. All numbers match.' Twenty words tell just about the entire story,
if it's true. What did he tell you about the 235 mile drivetrain vs. the 13,000 mile car?

Bob

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
How hard is it? '13,000 mile 1966 L79 Nova SS. Original drivetrain removed at 235 miles and just put back in. All numbers match.' Twenty words tell just about the entire story,
if it's true. What did he tell you about the 235 mile drivetrain vs. the 13,000 mile car?

Bob
How hard is what? Advertising? For some who never do it, I'd guess from what I see it's not easy for them. Car was restored 4 years ago and had 235 miles put on it since. Seller didn't seem like he was hiding anything. He bought from his neighbors widow, the original owner.. I wasn't too concerned about the 13000 miles because it doesn't matter on a restored car. I lost interest when my high bid was passed up so I didn't pursue any further. I'm amazed at how much criticism comes from non buyers

1 - 20 of 37 Posts