Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen radiator caps on some 1966 L79's located in the middle of the radiator and on others they were on the passenger side...Are both correct depending on whether they were built (U.S or Canada):confused::confused

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've seen radiator caps on some 1966 L79's located in the middle of the radiator and on others they were on the passenger side...Are both correct depending on whether they were built (U.S or Canada):confused::confused
Not sure what you've seen, but generally a vertical flow radiator with tanks top and bottom, the cap will be in the center. On cross flow with the tanks on each side, the cap will be on the return side tank.

I've never seen a old style vertical flow radiator with a side mounted cap. That doesn't mean they're not out there, but never seen on myself.

·
14,135 Posts
The center fill was the standard heavy duty rad that came on all L79s. The offset fill is the even bigger RPO V01 rad that was an extra cost option.

Bob

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The center fill was the standard heavy duty rad that came on all L79s. The offset fill is the even bigger RPO V01 rad that was an extra cost option.

Bob
Thanks Bob,
I looked at a CDN documented L79 yesterday that had the offset fill. There was no mention on the docs or the build sheet of that option. Was the offset fill only available with the L79?
Thanks
Martin

·
14,135 Posts
Thanks Bob,
I looked at a CDN documented L79 yesterday that had the offset fill. There was no mention on the docs or the build sheet of that option. Was the offset fill only available with the L79?
Thanks
Martin
No, it wasn't specific to the L79. A lot of these rads got installed later in the life of the car.

Bob

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry guys, I did not have the correct information for the question that was asked.

My informatiion was VERY basic and clearly showed my ignorance in the L79 option package; which was the question in the first place.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it wasn't specific to the L79. A lot of these rads got installed later in the life of the car.

Bob
The owner would have had to change the rad support along with the radiator since the rad support had the indent for the cap in it. My guess is it was ordered with the car.

·
14,135 Posts
The owner would have had to change the rad support along with the radiator since the rad support had the indent for the cap in it. My guess is it was ordered with the car.
Martin, my L79 rad support had indents for both center fill and offset. Most others are similar.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts