Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 74 nova with a 250 L6/3 spd Saginaw/8.5 10 bolt. I've looked at this a couple of ways and want to build the car in segments as money allows starting with the engine. With that being said I want to run the 3 speed for a while. It’s in great shape and shifts smooth, has a Hurst Indy shifter, clutch is good.

I’d like to be in the 350-400hp range with decent torque. Here are a couple of combinations I'm thinking about. I picked these two motors because I’ve had both in the past; I’m aware the 350 is cheaper to build than a 327 and makes more torque.

Combo 1:
-327 with vortec or pro comp iron heads 64cc, comp xe 268 or xe 274 cam, Edelbrock RPM intake, 750 carb (holley or edelbrock), 1 5/8 headers 2.5” flowmaster exhaust

Combo 2:
-350 with vortec heads or pro comp iron heads 64cc, comp xe 268 or xe 274 cam, Edelbrock RPM intake, 750 carb, 1 5/8 headers 2.5” flowmaster exhaust

Questions:
  1. I know the sag isn't the best tranny for all out strip use but what about the occasional beating with some BFG drag radials or is this a recipe for shrapnel in my feet?
  2. Can I reuse the clutch/flywheel/bellhousing with an earlier pre 86' motor? I read on a couple of other posts people were able to do this because the balance is the same. Is that true?
  3. Can I hit mid to low 13s with these combos, the sag and a 3.73 posi in the rear or should I jump to a TH-350?
  4. Anyone ever use a Mabbco 350 short-block for a build?
    https://www.mabbcomotors.com/catalo...O_CORE_REQUIRED_-_90_Day_Limited_Warranty/136
  5. What’s a good but inexpensive radiator to use?

Thanks for your help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts