Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I found a 250 head off of a 68 chevy pickup $125 for head and manifolds, local machine shop completed head going to pickup this weekend. I'm trying to find the clamps that hold the manifolds to the head. Right now i can't afford the langdon headers i want (future upgrade). trying to get it going for the short term, iv'e googled everywhere no luck so far. Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
I'm trying to find the clamps that hold the manifolds to the head. Any help is appreciated!
Those clamps are hard to find and I have never seen reproductions.

To get them, you will have to find a car or truck in a salvage yard.

When you upgrade to the langdon headers, you will find more issues.

Where the clamps touch the intake manifold (mine is offenhauser) and langdon exhaust - they are not the same height.

It takes some work with a grinder to make the clamps put equal pressure on both parts.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Just luck would have it that I ran across this thread....

I have a few set(s) laying around believe it or not...

I just have to have the time to locate them....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more news; turns out the head is not a 250 but a 230, don't know if thats good or bad. from what I can tell the swap will still work won't it? if it does then i'll have to save my pennies and wait to buy or find a 2 barrel intake, but i wanted to stay 1 barrel if i could

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
I have heard that some like the 194 head because it increases compression and the 250 breathes better.

That leaves the 230 head at the bottom of the list.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not really aiming for higher performance as much as getting it running ok using pump gas. this will be my occasional daily driver, maybe a 194 head later?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A 230 head should work fine. The only difference between a 250 and a 230 was the crankshaft stroke. Both have cylinder bores of 3.875" and the same compression ratio of 8.5:1
The 250 stroke is 3.53 while the 230 stroke is 3.25
The 194 has a bore of 3.5625" and a compression ratio of 8.5:1 with the same stroke of 3.25 as the 230.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
X2
The 230,250,292 head all are vary close to the same CC chambers size. All this depending on the Yrs.casting But all and all Vary close if not the Same CCs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts