Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I figured I might as well start a build thread. This will be going slow but it’s fun to work on. I’m going to be swapping in a 5.3(l33)/4l80e combo. I know I will need to cut the tunnel but we will see how much.

Today I got the engine cleaned up and switched over to an f body oil pan, pickup, and windage tray. Another member sent me some CBR plates to use for mockup. Thanks TomM!!!

I just need to get a shorter bolt for the recessed hole in the plate. With the energy suspension mounts, did everyone use the preload plates?

Here are some pics so far:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I rebuilt the stock upper control arms with Del a lum bushings. I am also running CPP 2”drop spindles, ls brakes, CBR lower control arms, sway bar, and power rack. Still using the stock column since I want to retain the column shift.

·
4,527 Posts
I thought the correct pan was the GTO 04-06? Or do you use the F body pan with the rack & pinion?

Miles

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe you use the GTO pan with stock steering and the f body pan with the CBR rack

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made a little progress today. With a lot of wiggling and removing the top 2 bolts on the motor mounts, I was able to get the motor mounts over the frame mounts and slide the bolts through. After raising the back of the transmission, it looks like it hits in a couple of spots but a lot less than I thought it would.

Unfortunately, my angle finder is junk so I have a new one on the way!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moving right along. I plotted it out and made some cuts and now I have plenty of clearance. It was less cutting than I thought it would be. I might open it up a little more to make the patch pieces easier to fit but not much. I have the driveline set at 3 degrees.

My crossmember kit should be here tomorrow so hopefully I can have this buttoned up this weekend!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good so far! Also make sure to account for the cooler lines.

Miles
I’ve got banjo fittings for the lines. Should be no problem.

I finished up the crossmember and got it installed. Next I need to patch the floor and then then I should be in good shape.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve got the tunnel just about finished. I taped a bunch of cardboard on top of the trans to give some clearance. It took lots of cardboard templates but wasn’t too bad. Just tedious. I had to add a little filler piece because I trimmed too much. Glad to be making progress. I will finish welding it in this week. Then I can pull the engine/trans back out for a transmission kit and converter from Jakes Performance, and a cam, springs, and pushrods for the motor.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve got the floor finished up so I pulled the engine and transmission out. Unfortunately, I found out that the trans had gotten water in it. Didn’t find that out until after I opened it up. Time to look for a new core.

In the meantime, I swapped out the cam and springs!
I even got my special helper to help me out with checking the cam bearings! They look great.

I finally got around to modding the stock ac compressor bracket to fit around the CBR motor plates and motor mount. It only took about 20 min with an angle grinder, cutoff wheel and a flap disc. In hindsight I could have taken off a little less.

We will see how it fits once I drop the motor back in. The compressor will be tight to the inner fender but I’m hoping it fits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts