Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Frank, good stuff!! :yes: Probably the best video I have yet of my car launching. Something to compare with the next time I pull 3 ft of daylight under the tire :rolleyes:. I look forward to seeing your car run when it is done.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frank, good stuff!! :yes: Probably the best video I have yet of my car launching. Something to compare with the next time I pull 3 ft of daylight under the tire :rolleyes:. I look forward to seeing your car run when it is done.
Thanks Bob. Unfortunately, my car is gonna take some time. But in the meantime, I'll be more than happy to film the undercarriage of your after you put the bottle on it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
watched both videos. by far arts car looked to perform the best. plus it looks most like a race car. mark, your car was the prettiest. thanks for setting that video up. i know now how badly my car bogged. great quality video

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Hey Aron, talked to my boss today about your bog. He said if it sputters its a rich bog, if its laying down its a lean bog. Maybe a little jet is all it needs. Btw, i watched your videos and you get pretty nasty with the shifts, had a hard time listening to the shiftpoints.
Unfortunately I never pulled a plug after a pass to know for sure. I remember pulling a plug at Irwindale and it was awful close to perfect. I can't imagine a lean bog being that bad on my car. I will look into it, rest assured.

I've been posting on the UMTR board and they tend to suggest a lower gear. A 4.56 set is up on ebay right now, so I may buy it, we'll see. If I can set the diff up with a different ring and pinion for significantly cheaper than nitrous I might just do that. They say I should see quite a bit different results in my times from the 60' all the way down the track, and including mph. My gearing is definitely not optimal for a n/a car. I am still getting the nitrous, though. Just sucks if I go with a 4.56 gear because I'll have to change it back when the bottle goes on.

Art, by nasty on the shifts are you trying to say it was hard to hear, or it sounded bad? On my first several passes I don't think I could have shifted much faster honestly. I am amazed at how easy the faceplating with the pro 5.0 shifter makes my life down the track. I don't think that's something I'm going to worry about much more. On my last pass everything went stupid. I couldn't shift with my foot on the throttle because I screwed up adjusting the pedal stop.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Looks like a good time was had by all. i wish I could have been there. Good vid work!:yes:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Unfortunately I never pulled a plug after a pass to know for sure. I remember pulling a plug at Irwindale and it was awful close to perfect. I can't imagine a lean bog being that bad on my car. I will look into it, rest assured.

I've been posting on the UMTR board and they tend to suggest a lower gear. A 4.56 set is up on ebay right now, so I may buy it, we'll see. If I can set the diff up with a different ring and pinion for significantly cheaper than nitrous I might just do that. They say I should see quite a bit different results in my times from the 60' all the way down the track, and including mph. My gearing is definitely not optimal for a n/a car. I am still getting the nitrous, though. Just sucks if I go with a 4.56 gear because I'll have to change it back when the bottle goes on.

Art, by nasty on the shifts are you trying to say it was hard to hear, or it sounded bad? On my first several passes I don't think I could have shifted much faster honestly. I am amazed at how easy the faceplating with the pro 5.0 shifter makes my life down the track. I don't think that's something I'm going to worry about much more. On my last pass everything went stupid. I couldn't shift with my foot on the throttle because I screwed up adjusting the pedal stop.

Nah man, by Nasty i mean "Bad *ss. It almost sounds like an automatic. What i meant by not being able to hear the shifts is that they're quick and smooth. Good job bro! I was analyzing the videos and now i know i didnt have traction issues, on the 10.56 run it pulled the front wheels for a tad bit and bouced the front end which unloaded the tires. i think i'm going to try using the transbrake with the nitrous, maybe it will hold the tires up longer and keep the back tires planted.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Nah man, by Nasty i mean "Bad *ss. It almost sounds like an automatic. What i meant by not being able to hear the shifts is that they're quick and smooth. Good job bro! I was analyzing the videos and now i know i didnt have traction issues, on the 10.56 run it pulled the front wheels for a tad bit and bouced the front end which unloaded the tires. i think i'm going to try using the transbrake with the nitrous, maybe it will hold the tires up longer and keep the back tires planted.
You're talking bumper stands now. You'll have to get one of those made up like a poster for sure. Or a tattoo on your back...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Nah man, by Nasty i mean "Bad *ss. It almost sounds like an automatic. What i meant by not being able to hear the shifts is that they're quick and smooth. Good job bro!
Thanks for the compliments on this. I owe some of the shifting ability to the pro 5.0 shifter as well as the faceplating by Liberty's Gears. At WOT the thing shifts like a dream. I'm even getting used to driving it on the street, too. I'll get my launching problems sorted out eventually...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
And your point is?????

I would much rather have the wagon than that POS honda. Why is it that every honda driver can't seem to shift before bouncing of the rev limiter and waisting time. I just don't get it.:puke:
I'm in agreement. You can build just about anything to be fast, but just because it's fast doesn't make you a great driver. It also doesn't make your car consistently fast or even reliable at the track to not EXPLODIFY! One of those little cars broke an axle on the line. It was one of the quicker ones, too.

As for shifting, I think if you don't shift at redline (like in video games) the car isn't as fast, duh!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts