Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THERE WAS A THREAD A WHILE BACK ON EBAY LISTING, AN NOS L-79 THROTTLE RETURN SPRING BRACKET THAT SOLD FOR $117. THAT PIECE WAS CORRECT FOR A CORVETTE NOT A CHEVY II. THESE PICS ARE OF THE CORRECT BRACKET THAT IS ON MY L-79 WAGON RESTORATION.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Thanx Deuce!! Mine is a copy from Frank's original that he made me. I've included the measurements!! Ours seem to be more in the "upwards" pointing position, rather than the down turn from the intake??
Bogie

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
could i possibly see a shot of yer intake showing water outlet ???

i think i need one similar to the one that's used on L79's for my Z/28 intake...

if a shot's available, Thanks :D

·
13,967 Posts
Hey guys, I've seen all kinds of L79 throttle return bracket setups, many purporting to be originals, or fabricated from originals. One I saw solved the problem...he just attached the spring to the rad hose clamp near the waterneck :rolleyes: . What a way to restore an L79!

The majority of the brackets I've seen on restored as original cars have been black and if you hold the base on a flat surface, the arm extends upwards at about a 45 degree angle. Steve Maurer has restored many L79s and is considered a Guru when it comes to these cars. This pic of one his restorations isn't very good, but it shows the spring (OMG Bogie, it's white!) attached to the upright bracket. The dark, curved line next to it is the insulated temp sender unit wire snaking down from around the waterneck.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
the Flyer said:
could i possibly see a shot of yer intake showing water outlet ???

i think i need one similar to the one that's used on L79's for my Z/28 intake...

if a shot's available, Thanks :D
John-Boy.......... not only similar.... but exactly the same!!!!

·
13,967 Posts
And Johnny's next question will be...how cum the one in the L79 pic is aluminum color and Bogie's is steel? Well, they're all steel. Most of the ones you see on L79s have been painted Dull Aluminum to match the manifold.
Bob

·
13,967 Posts
duecemark said:
Bob , I painted mine bare steel, in your opion is it supposed to be black,MARK
Mark, as I mentioned in the earlier post, the majority of the ones I've seen on L79s and in pics appear to be flat or satin black. I've also seen bare steel. Again, I think we need to keep in mind that very little was sacred in building these mid sixties cars. There's nothing to say they didn't use more than one type of bracket during the production year or the design changed at some point.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Here is what an original L30 looks like. Just wanted to get in on the pics:)

I looked through the whole 66 assembly manual and could not find a reference to this spring bracket on the L30 or L79. No part number????

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm !!

It looks the same to me???? :confused: :confused: Must be a 66 L30?? My 67 L30 had a separate bracket off the coil!!

Bogie

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Your right Bogie it is a 66 and I agree with you that it looks the same, that is why I thought you guys might be interested in the pics. Cory

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
'67 L30

Agree with Bogie.My first '67,,L30 had the spring running back "twards" the fire wall from the bottom of the Q-Jet throttle arm to a bracket that was held on with one of the coil mount bolts.Maybe it's a '67 Q-Jet thing:p
Did the '66 L30 have an AFB or Holley?
In the 1967 Chevy 2 assembly manual page 277 shows a good picture of the bracket and gives a # for the 283 and L30 springs.Listed on the same page as "Automatic Trans - Throttle Control" dated 9-23-66

On page 72 there's a pic of the spring attaching to the vent tube at the front of the manifold,it's labeled, "Accelerator Pedal & Manual Choke Control":confused:

:eek: Matter a fact (had to go look:eek: ) the RED67 has the bracket by the coil (no coil HEI) and the spring running up to the bottom of the Holley throttle arm.

Gotta love them :chev: 's

:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts