Engine: 400 sbc

Body/Exterior: Hugger Orange

Front End: stock and ugly yellow :mad:

Transmission: 5 speed manual

Rear End: 10 Bolt 3.73 posi

Exhaust: Headers for now :yes:

Interior: Covans dash, cts seats

Electrical: American Auto Wire Kit

Sound system: eclipse head unit with eclipse speakers, 2 JL audio amps and two JL audio 12" subs

Additional Comments:

Well i guess its finally time to make a car profile. This car was purchased by my dad in 1983 for 300$ with some front end damage. When I turned 15 my dad decided it would be my car to fix up. When i got it the car was completely stripped hardly any bolts still on the car. We live on a 2,000 acre farm and have two big sheds that somehow had nova parts in every crack and corner of. At 15 I loved cars and had helped on working on cars with my dad and on several stock cars. However that was really different then taking a pile of parts into a car. So I began working on it took every last bolt on it off, we made a jig out of pipe to put it on its side so we could completely clean the underside of the car. We finished that and painted it and began doing body work. It seemed like it never ended and I enjoyed working on it and would all the time. That was until I met my wonderful girlfriend and the nova got moved to the back burner for a long time. However I got interested in it again and we got it painted when i was 18. Then it was time to put all the parts I had laying everywhere that I had never seen on the car in the first place while digging through car parts of all different kinds. I got the engine transmission and other things put in it then it cam to the electrical part. That was the biggest pain for me. I did not know where connections went or what they controlled. I had no idea for the most part and lost interest again. However I started looking on this site for help and was able to figure it out. So i must say to all who asked questions and answered them thank you very much I would never have gotten this far without this great resource. So with the help of this site I completed the wiring in august. On July 13th we started the motor. That happened to be the same day I was leaving for Florida for a week long vacation. I recorded a video of the car running and think I listened to it everyday I was in Florida and could not wait to get back to start putting it all together. So got back from vacation and the same day i got back my dad was leaving for the Lake of the Ozarks the same day which mean i had the entire shop to myself for the week without having to be pulled away from working on the nova with farm work. I got both fenders and the interior completed by myself. this is my car as it sits now. it still needs the headliner installed, drive shaft, mechanical fan, the exhaust, as well as the white stripes painted on it.

P.S. I know the powder coated yellow frame looks absolutely terrible it will hopefully be taken out when funds are available as I am still in college until December. The plan is to have it on the road in the spring as soon as the salt is off the road and its nice out. Sorry for being so long winded. So far this project has taken 7 years and has been very trying at times as well as very satisfying. I have tighten every bolt on the car and have done all the work other then putting in the new rear quarters and the other welding on the car and we I had some help with the body work and had a shop paint it.

Also i will try to find some pics from what it started and more as i went along when I get a chance. Thanks for looking hope fully this works :eek:

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind words!.... I guess Ill work backwards on the pictures a little bit. I have some from just before we primered the car through what it looks like now. The ones before that were so long ago I did not have a digital camera to take the pictures with haha... so here are some more pictures of the car during the build process.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

This stuff is everywhere....including on many of my clothes

The reason for all the dynomat

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
:cool pics: I LIKE THE WORK YOU'VE PERFORMED! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
20,119 Posts
Beautiful car, you did a great job on it.:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys i appreciate the kind words! It by no means will be a show car just nice weekend cruiser. Unfortunately I have started my last semester of college which is an hour and a half from my house. I go to class four days a week and now we have started harvesting which unfortunately takes up all of my weekends so I do not have much time to work on the nova. However the plates came in it :yes:
[/IMG]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, well I know I have been MIA for about a year again. I have been really busy graduated in December a semester early from Southern Illinois Carbondale. Since then i have been helping my uncle put on an addition on his house as well as farming. So there has been little time to get work done on the nova. However i have almost completed the car. IN march the stripes were painted on and since then i have been doing small things to the car. This last week i switched out the sub frames to remove the yellow, had an alignment done, got the exhuast put on, as well as put on the new wheels and tires. Here are some pics of the progress.

Had to have my buddy com out and help me some...(My nephew)

I think he is laughing at the F*rds in the rear view mirror in that picture. :turn:

So I have gotten pretty far drove it one mile to the county line and back from my house but the brake pedal is still soft and cannot get a stiff pedal. Other than that a little carb tuning and the headliner install and it should be road worthy i hope. I also have a new radiator coming from Big Al for it to keep it cool and an electric fan instead of the mechanical set up i have now.

Again I would like to say thanks for all the information I have read on the site because with out it I would not be anywhere near this far! :beer:

·
Registered
20,119 Posts
That's a great looking Nova, nice job. :yes:

·
Registered
799 Posts
VERY SLICK looking ride! You have done a GREAT job on her..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts