Engine: 355 Forged Flat top, 280 CompCam Large Dbl Hump heads

Body/Exterior: Stock, Black Primer

Front End: Stock

Transmission: TCI TH350

Rear End: Stock 2:73

Exhaust: Ceramic Coated shorty headers, flowmasters

Wheels/Tires: Jegs Star wheels. 15x8 and 15x4

Interior: Stock with aftermarket buckets

Electrical: Stock, melted, althreads for fuses.

Accessories/Options: Air / none

Sound system: Jensen CD/DVD 7.5" Roll out Touch Screen

Additional Comments: Got the car for $2k. had cragars and 350 with 4" glass cowl hood. I installed my built engine, Jegs wheels and new street tires and put some primer in much needed spots. 1/4s are good, front pans need work. Little rust. Engine needs finished hooking up and broken in.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Welcome! Looks like a nice project, these years are making some headway lately. If the rear is stock you should have a 3.08 gear.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
You have a nice project there! There are many knowledgeable people on here for all your questions. Stick around! :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. Yeah the hood came with it. Has a slight bow to it because he used stock springs which were too stout for it. And it has a small bumbed corner out front, which shouldn't be a big deal to fix.

I got a rear end I'm fixing to start work on. It's a 10 bolt, 2.5 with 4.56 and GM Posi unit. It's got rust in it, and it's not very pitted at all, mostly just surface rust but I need to pull the center out of it and clean it up.

Was going to start on it this weekend after work sat. but I need to get the '55 chevy ready for trade and take off sunday.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I'd pick up on the progress here.
This is what I had to start with. Lots of things were going wrong IMO with this build. He was going to slick it all out, leave the 20's on it and so on. Paint it silver I think.

And this is what it looked like after me starting some temporary primering... rattle can special from paintshop. Then added the cragar's in back, then Jegs' Stars in front.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car ready for transplant.

Wife working on the car. She pulled the rubber, the wires and pulleys for me.

Anyone see? What's wrong with this picture?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ready for implant!

Engine is in.
Valve Covers on
Cog Belt setup installed But have to put spacer on balancer
Water hoses on
Temp Gauge sender in
Carb installed and Distributer,, well need to time it all in with wires.

Next is installing my:
Switch Panel, got a Taylor switch panel the other day
Electric fan
Wiring Gauges
Installing Fuel pump and plumb it
Exterior Door handle on pass side.

I'm thinking of going with an Iroc console. I measured the one out of wife's 89 RS, and it looks like it'll fit well. measurements show to fit, but I can always trim the bottom to get it to sit lower and such. Then install the 82+ Ratchet shifter from B&M

·
Registered
120 Posts
ss Nova

I was wondering where all of the 73-74 Nova's were,alot of them are starting to show up now,And thats a good thing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yar!!! I like mine, but I still like the gilled front look, ya know like the fender extensions in the front? i like the gilled or "Ribbed" look like what's on the 69's and 70's, than the solid.. plus the crash bumpers as I call 'em. don't mind the big amber lenses, there's always black paint :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got some work done to the car. No pics yet (nothing really to see anyhow)

1. Moved Accel hot box from fender to firewall.

2. Temporary E.Fuel pump mounted on fender.

3. Plugs all in.

4. Radiator gone thru, flushed, cleaned and painted.

5. Electric Fan installed.

6. Gauge's are all wired up now but still need my stand alone pods to mount them on top of the dash.

7. Seat covers removed.

8. 10 point check over from driveshaft bolts to crossmembers. A-Ok and tight.

9. Polished 2 wheels.

10. Borrowed timing light and primer tool.

Was actually going to get the engine bumped over.... and possibly started and cam break in procedure.. but um.. obviously we had a miss. When I had this engine in the firebird, I DID have it bumped over... but when I sold the firebird body.. the starter went with it. After that, I installed the engine into the nova, and kept the starter that was on the nova in the first place. SO! Guess what? That's right... WRONG STARTER! It will not even come close to the flywheel. Guessing I have the smaller flywheel? And the starter for the larger one.

Got a race shop in town we've done computer work for, and he's going to get me a refurbed High torque Mini Starter for $60 bucks. It has the double bolt pattern for either fly wheel.

After I get the starter and engine broken in... my plans are:

Seats, Floor pan fix, 5pt Harnesses, new door bushings on driver side (sags) and passenger side door handle installed.

.... to be continued

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well....

It's been a long day today. Long story short, spent hours on a new starter that ended up needing to be shimmed to get away from flywheel when disengaged, and it STILL needs further shimming (which only 1 shim came with it)

The engine didn't start. Tried 180 out on the dist. Put it back on where I heard sounds out the headers.

Got fuel, Got fire at plugs. Have to hold it on the floor for it to even TRY to take off. You can hear 4 blub's out the exhaust then silence... then 4 more... then POOF thru the carb.

Trying again tomorrow. If it doesn't take off... I'm pulling it... and either ...

1. Take it to my race shop and have them get it started and tuned with my new carb etc. (Contemplating) and that way I can just bring it home, drop it in and marry it to the tranny. Which I'll order solid engine mounts and get them in at that time... ORRRR....

2. Finally plunge into the BBC and have one built. I have a core I can get... it's a 454. Ran when pulled, he'll sell it to me for $250. I can take my rearend back to him and get the engine for that. Spend the $500 for parts on the 454. Whatchu guys think? Only issue is... I only haz a TH350 for tranny atm. Buddy of mine always built 350's for his big blocks but not sure what he's using now days. The TH350 I have is some TCI (not sure what it is exactly)

SOOOO yeah that's where I'm at... kinda depressed and stuff. Gonna go play a game, order pizza and talk about it with the wife.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts