Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you place an item on Ebay and it doesn't meet the reserve or even the begining bid, Shouldn't that tell you that you are asking tooooooo much for the item. I love people that put a price on what they have and will not budge a little bit to sell the item(sure I'll get some hate remarks for that one)even when auction has ended and it has not met what they think it is worth. Isn't it only worth what someone is willing to pay and if no one bids then it ain't worth it?

I've been selling and buying on Ebay since Oct-10-99 and I have noticed that many selling get somewhat upset if you try to haggle in anyway for an item that hasn't met what they are asking. As far as I'm concerned Ebay is just an online flea market. Thoughts, comment, objection, agreement, Etc....

Ebay ID: Sammyiam27

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
DriveWFO said:
Sometimes my item won't get any bids and then I'll relist it the following week or so for the same price and people bid like crazy. I guess it's hit and miss sometimes.

I would agree with that. And I'm not saying that you shouldn't try that, its just that I don't understand why certain selling seem like they get offended by an offer, heck, I'm happy that someone offers me something when the item isn't selling. I may take it, I may not.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Eric334 said:
I would agree with that. And I'm not saying that you shouldn't try that, its just that I don't understand why certain selling seem like they get offend by an offer, heck, I'm happy that someone offers me something when the item isn't selling. I may take it, I may not.
Most of my stuff gets listed with no reserve. It gets frustrating when I see LOTS of people watching the auction, but noone BIDS!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DriveWFO said:
Most of my stuff gets listed with no reserve. It gets frustrating when I see LOTS of people watching the auction, but noone BIDS!!!

Yes I would agree.

What is your ebay ID: Might have to look at some

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I Agree

I agree with what you guys are saying. Some of those guys must put things on there after the wife says its got to go, but the price is crazy high and no one bids. BUT! he can say "But honey I tried to sell it and no one wants it". We laugh about this at work because we know a guy here in St. Louis who does that very thing to his wife. But not on E bay.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better yet, I like when you ask what a person reserve is and they act like it is the big black family secret. "Why no I can't tell you, that would make the bidding unfair" "NO I WILL NOT TELL YOU, JUST KEEP BIDDING LIKE THE REST OF THE PEASANTS"

What is the big deal in telling. I ask cause if it is above what I want to spend, then I dont' bother in bidding. And just for the record, I've never had anyone ever say, I'll sell it to you cause you were the closest to my reserve. They rather hold on to it, hord it! Stick in a barn and let it rot! or whatever they do.

·
Super Moderator
7,178 Posts
If someone asks, I'll usually tell them what my reserve is, and they can bid accordingly, if they so desire, or, if the item doesn't sell, contact you after-auction to make an offer, which has happened more than once. If it's a reasonable offer, we can come together. Whether you're a buyer or seller, I think you have to be knowledgeable of the product being offered, and price accordingly. I usually know my market pretty well, and if needed, fix my reserve based on the supply and demand. In my case, I'm usually dealing with pretty scarce auto parts, and know what they should bring. And, like everyone that deals on eBay, some weeks are golden, while others make you wonder why you do this auction thing! But you see both sides of the coin out there; the seller that either doesn't have a clue, or thinks that the buying public are a bunch of idiots and will pay the outrageous asking price, as well as the bidders that want to steal it from you and prevent you from making a profit. All in all, it's interesting!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Eric334 said:
What is the big deal in telling. I ask cause if it is above what I want to spend, then I dont' bother in bidding.
You just answered your own question. They WANT you to bid, so that even if your bid is below the Reserve, you will drive the price up closer to it.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
This happened to me.

More that once I have been outbid on a car and the guy calls back and says the winner crapped out on the deal and I can now buy it for his bid or my high bid. It looks like they have someone else bid it to make sure you go as high as you are going, and then when you quit they tell you that you have a second chance.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
2novacars said:
More that once I have been outbid on a car and the guy calls back and says the winner crapped out on the deal and I can now buy it for his bid or my high bid. It looks like they have someone else bid it to make sure you go as high as you are going, and then when you quit they tell you that you have a second chance.
I think somebody metioned earlier about private auctions being like that. Somebody bidding their own item up on a legit bidder....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
72Orange said:
You just answered your own question. They WANT you to bid, so that even if your bid is below the Reserve, you will drive the price up closer to it.
I kind of agree with that, but I'm still only going to bid what I think the item is worth, I ask cause lets say, I'm bidding on a item and I'm willing to go to $100 and the reserve is $200, well I'm only going to go to me high price. I ask cause if their reserve is off the wall, I won't even waste my time looking at the item. I don't think it is any big deal to say what your reserve is . I see no down fall. If I tell someone and they think it is too high and won't bid, well then I guess its either my fault for setting it to high or their for being cheap! ( I use that losely cause I'm cheap)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Example

Q: reserve price? Apr-26-06

A: Sorry but i can't tell you what is the reserve price. The only think that I can tell you is that it is fair and low enough to bid and buy it...

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I just went through the schill bidding thing last week.I was bidding on a bike and had my price i was willing to drop on it, and one bidder kept driving the price up all the way to the end.I let out short and they won, the owner emailed me the same night (20 mins later) saying the other bidder opted out on the bike and i could have it for what they won it for lol....Needless to say i looked into the guy's other auctions and seen that the same person won a few of his auctions..If you feel the need to do that then why not just set the auction to start at the very minimum you could take on the item and just let it go.It's not so much an auction at that point but it cuts out alot of the b.s. imo.... I for one would rather know what the seller is asking on an item, to spare myself the trouble of even trying if it's out of my range.I know most sellers like you to bid because it drives the price more towards thier reserve but I believe that if what you have is worth what you want it will sell either way.. later

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Eric334 said:
Example

Q: reserve price? Apr-26-06

A: Sorry but i can't tell you what is the reserve price. The only think that I can tell you is that it is fair and low enough to bid and buy it...
And that is a weak *** answer right there.....That would turn me away from the auction.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Eric334 said:
As far as I'm concerned Ebay is just an online flea market. Thoughts, comment, objection, agreement, Etc....

Ebay ID: Sammyiam27
I've got to throw my $0.02 in here...I've been on Ebay since 11/01 (keez54)and sell quite a bit and probably buy way too much but....everyone's got to keep in mind it's an auction....NOT a flea market, although it seems like one at times. It's the seller's perogative to do what he wants to do...set a reserve, reveal a reserve, set a BIN price, whatever....it's not a negotiation unless the seller agrees to negotiate. My personal guidelines are if I have an item up and no one is bidding and I get a message from someone's who's interested and willing to buy....pay me through paypal and I'll cancel the auction....but if there's a bid....won't do it....not fair to the guy bidding...i figure it's a wash...some of the stuff I sell gets way more than I would pay and other's....just barely get by....that's the name of the game. If I had this as a regular business, yeh, things would change...but right now, just a way to finance my purchases through selling other stuff.

AND, ever since ebay started showing the number of "Watchers", that can be frustrating on a seller's side....I have had things up for auction that had 50 or more watchers....what the heck...bid will ya....:confused:

Anyway....my $0.02...

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Damn Straight

I agree with Gates 72 SS. I don't want to get all tied up with some item if I know its out of my pocket book. Whether its a fair price or not if its too much for me then so be it. I mean we all have our price. But lets face it I must be a little cheap(squeak squeak) or I would'nt be looking on ebay for a bargain.
Lance

1 - 18 of 18 Posts