Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law purchased a set of valve covers and while doing some research he discovered they are Kiehaefer valve covers for a 409 engine.

I am wondering if anyone here can tell me where I can find a picture of what the valve covers should look like? I have tried every Google search possible and I can't find a picture of them.

We know Kiehaefer was involved in Nascar and Mercury outboard engines but we are trying to find out more. We would like to redo the valve covers and bring them back to their original look.

Please let me know any details you have. Thanks in advance for everyone's help we appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Call Innovation Marine in Sarasota. not sure if they are still around but they did resto work on the first race boat called ...The Cigarette. It was a Formula with a 409 GM engine in it. this would of been back in 2007..

found this info in a thread on another site...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Do they look like this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they look just like those, exact same. Do you know if there was a decal or plate that ran across the top of the cover? What do you know about these? Are they as rare as people say?

I would like to redo them and use them on my car but I would like to know what they look like first.

Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
They were originally painted black and had a "Mercruiser Marine" decal in the large flat spot. Pretty uncommon. As a 348/409 guy myself, I've always wanted a pair for use on a hot rod instead of a boat.

Here's a photo I was able to find of them in "stock" form. I think I might have some better ones at home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for all the help guys!

Do you know if they used any different decals on the valve covers? Any pictures or additional information you can share will be greatly appreciated.

My father in law wants to use these on his 32 and I want to make sure we get the proper look for them.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I don't recall having seen any with a different decal or painted a color other than black (or subsequently polished). I looked through my 348/409 photo archive at home, but didn't spot any more of these Mercruiser covers.

I figured if I ever had a set, I'd fill the holes and either polish the cover and paint the tops of the ribs, or paint the covers and polish the ribs, and then design a decal to replace the "Mercruiser Marine" one with something that would be a little more fitting for use on a car.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts