Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just wanted to see how people felt here about the safety of these old cars and putting their kids in them?

I have been really in to choppers for the past 10 years but I wanted to get something I can enjoy with my wife, and one year old son, so I bought a 62 wagon on Saturday. I am going to purchase a seat belt from seatbeltsplus.com so I can put in a rear center belt to hold my sons car seat.

Do you guys have any concerns about putting young children in these old cars? Have you done any other safety upgrades to potentially protect your family? I obviously want to keep my family safe but I am not overly worried about safety to the point of keeping my kid in a bubble. Heck I grew up riding around in the bed of my dads pickum up truck, and rode my bike and skateboard with out a helmet and I am still here and have most of my brain cells. :) Anyways just curious about other peoples views and how they enjoy this hobby with their family.

Cheers.

Chris

·
Registered
155 Posts
Chris, a lot of us here grew up just as you... in the back of the pickup and no helmet drinking out of the waterhose...LOL IMHO your little one will be safe as can be in the middle of the wagon.... as long as the seat is installed correctly and the seatbelts are installed correctly. Enjoy while he is young... blink and he will be asking for the keys to the wagon. :yes:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I myself say make it as safe as you can & enjoy ...
When my 10 year old was younger she would cry if I didn't take her for a ride So I took a cable & bolted her car seat under the back seat . My wife couldn't beleave what I did .

. Later Larry Mc

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
THERE ARE FOLKS ON HERE THAT HAVE MADE THEIR CARS SAFE FOR YOUNGINS, WITH TODAYS STANDARDS. MAYBE THEY WILL CHIME IN. :cool:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have 3 point retractable seat belts in my 64. My kids ride in the Nova almost every day. They love it and are upset when they can't. My car I believe is as safe as can be. My kids are making memories with all the trips we take.

Put some belts in that car and enjoy it!

Tim

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
As long as humans have been around there is a chance you or your loved one's may die. I look at it like this if GOD punches the ticket your done. Now this does not mean I think you go crazy and act like you are trying to get your ticket punched early. Enjoy your car and this short time you have with your kids. Soon they will think you are stupid and won't want anything to do with you. The good news is they come back out of the fog and realize you aren't so bad.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wish my car had a 3 point belts in the back seat. I know it is completely possible to put them in, but to me the risk of them not being installed correctly is not worth it.

For now, my son is still in a forward facing car seat and with the lap belt holding the car seat I think everything is fine, the when it comes time to use a booster seat, I think I will have to rethink the situation.

As others have said we are making memories with our kids and our cars. I went to a show a few weeks ago, as I was pulling the car seat out to stuff it in the trunk an older fellow came up to me and said "I remember the days of car seats in the trunk, never forget these days because they never last long enough." I for one do not want to deny the enjoyment. Our kids are the future of the car hobby!

-Nate

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
IMO, just as much risk in a new car as in an old one. My kids and myself are belted in when in the novas but only with the factory lap belts. I don't drive freeways or interstate though so that I suppose makes a difference. I say enjoy it with the kids!

·
Registered
20,119 Posts
^^^ What he said.:yes:

We survived our days and did just fine.

·
14,139 Posts
Take a look at the first inside page of the 1963 Chevy II showroom brochure. There are 3 kids in the back seat of the white SS convertible. One is standing up leaning through between the front buckets. The other 2 are kneeling backwards on the backseat hanging over the top boot. Hard to believe nobody at the ad agency twigged to the dangers of this scenario, but safety concerns weren't front of mind in 1963. I remember when Ford brought out front seatbelts in the mid 50's, many people had them taken out or stuffed them down under the seat.

I don't have kids in my convertible very often, but did one afternoon back in August. After the two 8 years olds got over the intrigue of the window cranks (one thought his Dad might have had those in his old Jeep!), they started looking for the non existent rear shoulder belts. It made me think of how useless those rear seat lap belts would be in a crash. If I was transporting kids on a regular basis, I'd be doing 3 point belts.

Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Driving with kids

My Nova had no rear seatbelts when purchased. My kids were in baby seats at the time so I ordered and installed lap belts and tether strap anchors. Now I have 3 kids and wished I had bought a wagon instead. Like everyone is saying get out there cruizing because its no fun in the mini van. Trust me I know.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I wish my car had a 3 point belts in the back seat. I know it is completely possible to put them in, but to me the risk of them not being installed correctly is not worth it.

For now, my son is still in a forward facing car seat and with the lap belt holding the car seat I think everything is fine, the when it comes time to use a booster seat, I think I will have to rethink the situation.

-Nate
I use as good or better hardware than the factory. The aftermarket belts I bought were custom made and rated by the gov't. I am confident the belts would not be the weak link in a crash.

Do I believe my car is safer than a new one? Nope. They have crumple zones engineered into new cars. These are designed to save you in a crash.

I also have 4 wheel disc brakes that stop better than most new cars. I don't believe I am risking mine or my kids lives. I am making memories that their friends won't ever know.

Tim

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's good to hear all you stories on this guys. Last night I ordered the seat belt to put in the center of the back seat for my sons baby seat. My son will be one next week and this past year has definitely made me see things differently.

One of my earliest memories is riding around in my dads old dodge truck. My love for things motored and mechanical is something I can't wait to share and enjoy with my son. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Now, where was thread about the LS1 brakes swap again!?:D

Cheers.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts