Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently replaced my lower steering column bearing and when Reinstalling the Column, now my key in - headlight Buzzer no longer works. I looked at the schematic that was posted here some time ago, but cannot figure out how the buzzer is actually connected and operates.

I believe the guy originally had it wired through a relay and one of the wires came loose (pin 30) which usually goes to B+. (Pin 87) seems to go to the door jamb switch) One wire is grounded (pin 85) and one wire (pin 86) is joined with (# 159) in the column wiring loom, which shows to be the key buzzer warning ground. Is this correct? When I hook pin 30 to power, I get a spark but no buzzer. The buzzer switch inside the column was installed correctly.

Thanks

·
6,517 Posts
For some reason the diagram I have for a 72 does not show the key buzzer circuit but basically from what I know it should be setup close to how it is in a 73 Nova in that there is a double contact driver's door jamb pin switch and the one wire on that switch should go over to the flat steering column connector, then the circuit continues up to a set of contact points that get closed when the key is inserted fully into the tumblers and then the circuit comes back to a terminal on the flat column connector. From there the circuit should continue into the key buzzer module. The buzzer module then should be getting a constant 12V to it.

So basically you should have a constant 12V going to the key buzzer module, then if the ground side of the buzzer module is completed by having the key fully in the ignition switch tumbler with those switch contact closed and the driver's door is open, then the buzzer should sound.

If the key is pulled out of the ignition switch tumbler with the door open then those contacts open up and the buzzer should stop sounding and if the key is fully inserted into the ignition switch tumbler and the door gets closed, then the buzzer would stop sounding that was also.

The key buzzer system relies on completing or breaking the ground side.

JIm

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. Do you know where the actual buzzer is located so I can trace back from there?

·
6,517 Posts
Thanks Jim. Do you know where the actual buzzer is located so I can trace back from there?
If I had to guess, I'm going to say by the fuse block on the topside area where the big bundle of the wiring harness is at. Maybe back and up there close to the emergency brake assembly ?. I looked at the harness I have for my 74 (and it might also be close to what is in your car) and the buzzer plug has just the two wires going to it into one black plastic housing. On mine the one wire is orange (constant 12V) and the other a pink w/black tracer that goes to the flat column connector.

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great. I will dig into that tomorrow. The buzzer is annoying but I want it to work as it should.

Thanks again Jim !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts