Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1441 - 1460 of 1480 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Dave, are you gonna run tonight? I might think about stopping by as part of you pit crew. My nova is at home waiting for some final tinkering. I have class till 6:15 so don't expect me anytime early.

Kev
If it ain't raining, I'll be there!!!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,448
Just to let everyone know, it looks like I've resolved most of the issues. Fuel line isn't leaking, belts seem to be mostly holding on (pwr steering still seems odd, squeaks on hard turning), and car seems to be okay. Let's see if I can throw down a few 13's or 12's this evening without breaking anything.

Kev

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Just to let everyone know, it looks like I've resolved most of the issues. Fuel line isn't leaking, belts seem to be mostly holding on (pwr steering still seems odd, squeaks on hard turning), and car seems to be okay. Let's see if I can throw down a few 13's or 12's this evening without breaking anything.

Kev
I'm still trying to come out to TNT tonight, sometime around 8:30pm. I bring the video camera with me too. Don't break anything until I get there :D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I should be there around 8:30 also, but I wont have the Nova until Saturday.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

Kev
Did you disconnect the lines when you were swapping motors? I believe the squeaking during hard turning is a sign of air in the system.

Matt

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,453
How do you bleed the pwr steering???

PS Ran a 13.2 @ 104 blowing the tires off and had to call it a night after one pass. Details in drag forum.

Kev

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Taken from the instructions from a new steering box:

Step 1: Turn the engine off. Do not start the engine until the system is fully blead. Doing so may cause damage to the power steering pump.

Step 2: Raise the front wheels off the ground, or remove the pitman arm or tie rod.

Step 3: Turn steering wheel fully to the left.

Step 4: Fill fluid reservoir to “full cold” level. Leave cap off.

Step 5: While an assistant is checking the fluid level and condition, turn the steering wheel lock to lock at least 20 times.

—On systems with coolers, winches, or Rock Ram assist you may need to cycle in excess of 40 times.
—Trapped air may cause fluid to overflow. Thoroughly clean any spilled fluid to allow for leak check.

Step 6: While turning the wheel, check fluid constantly to ensure proper level and that no bubbles exist.

—If you see any signs of bubbles, recheck all connections then repeat the steps above.
—Fluid level should be steady (Rock Ram’s level will vary slightly).

Step 7: Start engine. With engine idling, maintain fluid level.

Step 8: Reinstall reservoir cap.

Step 9: Return wheels to center.

Step 10: Lower front wheels to ground or reinstall pitman arm or tie rod if removed in Step2.

Step 11: Run engine for two minutes. Turn steering wheel in both directions.

IMPORTANT: Use only clear name brand premium or synthetic power steering fluid, such as Royal Purple or Red Line. Do not use transmission fluid, as transmission fluid doesn’t contain the same friction inhibitors/additives and tends to breakdown and overheat. Use of transmission fluid will void the warranty.

Matt

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
man Paul your too kind;) ...I'm more used to the 50/50 warrently....50 seconds of 50 feet with ever comes first..:D
You guys are a little stingy. My brother and I have always been more generous on our warranty terms....30 seconds or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first...:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
You guys are a little stingy. My brother and I have always been more generous on our warranty terms....30 seconds or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first...:cool:
ya the ol' 30/30 warrenty is a classic...I've had a few parts covered by that one:D

1441 - 1460 of 1480 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.