Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1421 - 1440 of 1480 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,285 Posts
Kev

On your belt tossing, are you sure all your pulleys are "straight"? We had a problem when we built our engine, and after some checking, (and a few belts) we found one of the pulleys was bent just a little bit. Put on a new one and never had a problem. Just a thought.

Don

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,423 (Edited)
Okay, I went to the yard on Saturday and retrieved all the brackets and pulleys I needed, along with a fresh clutch fan and V8 power steering pump. Hopefully I'll be back up and running later this week. Possibly a few shake down runs at Quaker City on Friday before I meet up with the big boys down at PRP.

Kev

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Okay, I went to the yard on Saturday and retrieved all the brackets and pulleys I needed, along with a fresh clutch fan and V8 power steering pump. Hopefully I'll be back up and running later this week. Possibly a few shake down runs at Quaker City on Friday before I meet up with the big boys down at PRP.

Kev
Looks like there's only one big boy now...did ya see Scott's new dragster :eek::D

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,430
Nah, goin to Kennywood with some friends. Gotta enjoy the last of summer. School starts on Monday next week. I'll either run on Friday at QC or maybe Saturday at PRP? I dunno.

Kev

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,432
Water pump #4 installed.... check
New alternator bracket installed.... check
New power steering pump installed... check

Still need some belts and gotta install the dizzy, add coolant etc. The rain is coming down in Pittsburgh though :( :( :(

Kev

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Water pump #4 installed.... check
New alternator bracket installed.... check
New power steering pump installed... check

Still need some belts and gotta install the dizzy, add coolant etc. The rain is coming down in Pittsburgh though :( :( :(

Kev
Get it all together and ready for next Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Hey Kev,
I did some noodling with the new Camquest6 software. I entered in the ported S/R flow numbers and your engine specs and let it search out the best cam.

The closest I could get to your specs is a muscle cam (246/246) that duplicates the old Z-28 302/LT-1 solid cam.
Your compression is definitely too low for your current cam but it should still make decent power above 3,000.
but get this... Change the pistons to 11:1 and it makes 457 hp! An 11:1 LT-1 350 makes 375Hp with that cam so you could argue that the ported S/R's are 82 HP better than stock camels.

Then put in an XR280R solid roller and no other changes, Tadaa:
500.2 Hp @ 6,500
483 lb/ft torque @ 4,500.

The intake duration is actually less than the cam you have now. The exhaust is a little more. Lift is slightly higher with 1.5 ratio than your current cam with 1.6.

The best pick for your current CR is the 274XOS solid cam. It's a 9:1, 2 barrel circle track cam. 244/246 .519/.519
Should make 419 HP @ 6,000
424 lb/ft torque @ 4,000 with 1.5 ratio rockers. Thesoftware won't let me change the ratio but I'll bet with your 1.6 rollers it will make over 425HP.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Hey Kev,
I did some noodling with the new Camquest6 software. I entered in the ported S/R flow numbers and your engine specs and let it search out the best cam.

The closest I could get to your specs is a muscle cam (246/246) that duplicates the old Z-28 302/LT-1 solid cam.
Your compression is definitely too low for your current cam but it should still make decent power above 3,000.
but get this... Change the pistons to 11:1 and it makes 457 hp! An 11:1 LT-1 350 makes 375Hp with that cam so you could argue that the ported S/R's are 82 HP better than stock camels.

Then put in an XR280R solid roller and no other changes, Tadaa:
500.2 Hp @ 6,500
483 lb/ft torque @ 4,500.

The intake duration is actually less than the cam you have now. The exhaust is a little more. Lift is slightly higher with 1.5 ratio than your current cam with 1.6.

The best pick for your current CR is the 274XOS solid cam. It's a 9:1, 2 barrel circle track cam. 244/246 .519/.519
Should make 419 HP @ 6,000
424 lb/ft torque @ 4,000 with 1.5 ratio rockers. Thesoftware won't let me change the ratio but I'll bet with your 1.6 rollers it will make over 425HP.

Interesting numbers ... now to get the engine running ... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Change the pistons to 11:1 and it makes 457 hp! An 11:1 LT-1 350 makes 375Hp with that cam so you could argue that the ported S/R's are 82 HP better than stock camels.
That looks like its a cool program you have there Paul. I saw a pop up today for that program.:cool: :)

FWIW I would think comparing unported heads to ported heads is sorta an apples to oranges comparison. IMO the only true comparison would be if you had a set of ported camels to compare to the ported S/R torquers or a set of unported S/R torquers to compare to the ported S/R torquers. But compairing a head with 100 hours or so worth of work to the ports, bowels, etc to a head with zero hours worth of work is really not a good comparison..just my 2 cents:)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
It's not an advanced program. You can't change cam specs or rocker ratios. You can't make a custom cam. It's just the catalog of their stuff tied into a desk top dyno program.
The software is more of a Comp Cams sales tool. They should give it away.

OK, Let's compare S/R apples since I have flow numbers before and after.
Using an LT-1 short block (11:1 350), 750 carb, Performer RPM, open headers and the XR280R solid roller cam:

S/R 2.02 67 cc heads unported (using my flow readings @ 28")
402.0 Hp @ 5,500
459.5 lb/Ft @ 4,000

S/R PW ported (actual flow numbers again)
500.1 Hp @ 6,000
483 lb/ft @ 4,500

That's a 98 HP difference!

What's more important to say is even with a beefy solid roller cam on an 11:1 engine, if the heads don't flow it's not going to make decent power. I don't know how accurate the program is but I do know head flow is the key to power.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
S/R 2.02 67 cc heads unported (using my flow readings @ 28")
402.0 Hp @ 5,500
459.5 lb/Ft @ 4,000

S/R PW ported (actual flow numbers again)
500.1 Hp @ 6,000
483 lb/ft @ 4,500

That's a 98 HP difference!
Thats an impressive difference....it truely does go to show you what a good set of heads are worth:)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,440
Dave, are you gonna run tonight? I might think about stopping by as part of you pit crew. My nova is at home waiting for some final tinkering. I have class till 6:15 so don't expect me anytime early.

Kev

1421 - 1440 of 1480 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.