Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1381 - 1400 of 1480 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Kev, I'm just as interested in seeing how this engine runs, don't let any "hurry up" post push you into making fatal mistakes.
I hope you check for pushrod rotation and let it break in at an elevated rpm for 15-20 minutes. 320 lbs of spring pressure will make short work of those lobes, especially after the lube got wiped off during the starting problems. A ruined cam will set you back farther than the time to do it right.
Take your time, be careful and work smart.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Paul Wright said:
Kev, I'm just as interested in seeing how this engine runs, don't let any "hurry up" post push you into making fatal mistakes.
I hope you check for pushrod rotation and let it break in at an elevated rpm for 15-20 minutes. 320 lbs of spring pressure will make short work of those lobes, especially after the lube got wiped off during the starting problems. A ruined cam will set you back farther than the time to do it right.
Take your time, be careful and work smart.
I talked to Kevin on the phone the other night and he said they got the cam broken-in. I think he's swapping on his good headers and looking for an exhaust hanger.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,385
Yeah, I was umpiring yesterday. I checked the pushrods during break in. They were all spinning freely. Thanks again for all your help Paul. Hopefully she runs real strong.

Kev (heading out to the car in a second)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I feel fairly certain that this engine will be a big improvement over the 307.

Keep an eye on valve lash changes. Any big changes foretell trouble.

One other concern I thought about is the transmission front pump. I'm not sure but when the flex plate was backwards if the torque converter shoved into the pump. I guess you'll know when you drive it. Check for tranny front seal leaks as that might be a clue.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,389
Actually, we got hit by a 2 hour rain delay today.

My new headers are an inch shorter than my old ones, So I need to get some new adapters or move the whole exhaust. Every time you think something is gonna go easily....

Kev

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
PRP has test and tune this Wednesday and Friday if you can make it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
novaboy009 said:

My new headers are an inch shorter than my old ones, So I need to get some new adapters or move the whole exhaust. Every time you think something is gonna go easily....

Kev
Or you could cut off the collectors and weld on more efficient ones...but I doubt you'd want to do that to a new pair of headers. :eek:

Matt

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
novaboy009 said:

Kev
Exhaust? What do you need THAT for?!?! C'mon Kev, aren't ya gonna race that thing? :D

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,393
Looks like I won't be on the road until Tuesday at the earliest. Gotta get some stuff welded. Family function this evening to attend.

Kev

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
novaboy009 said:
Looks like I won't be on the road until Tuesday at the earliest. Gotta get some stuff welded. Family function this evening to attend.

Kev
Boy, you need to get yer priorities straight...Nova FIRST :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
DriveWFO said:
Boy, you need to get yer priorities straight...Nova FIRST :eek: :D
Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black? You need to quit worrying about those NASCAR guys and finish up 'ole 383 so we can get the PRP showdown on.:D

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Ironman said:
Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black? You need to quit worrying about those NASCAR guys and finish up 'ole 383 so we can get the PRP showdown on.:D
Hey, I got money tied up into this Brickyard race :D

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,397
We've created a MONSTER :D :D :D

I drove it today for the first time since April. It has a nasty idle rattling through the hooked up exhaust. I still like the way the cheap Summit turbo mufflers sound. Idles at a solid 900 bumping along in park.

I set the initial timing to 15 BTDC and fiddled with the idle screws a bit. Will have to mess around with some tuning stuff, but I wanted to see if it drove alright first.

I played nice and easy for awhile. Just cruised it around, listening for funny noises. I think the drivers side collector gasket is leaking a bit, but nothing serious sounding. Eventually, I just had to see what it could do. Rolling along at 15 mph or so, I hammered it down into first. The tires completely boiled and the a$$ end hung out so bad I had to get out of it!!! I made one or two more trips up to 4500 rpm or so just to feel that INCREDIBLE mid-rpm power band. The engine really scoots from a stop too. I think Don's mystery converter is loose enough for the big solid cam in there.

The engine at idle will arbitrarily bog after sitting for a little while. If you just barely blip the throttle it's fine. I think there's some crap in the carb or something.

Other than that I'm ALL SMILES :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kev

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
survey says... VIDEO PLEASE!!1 :D :D :D

about the carb thing, mine did that too for a while where it would bog a little at the light or stop sign if i sat for a little bit. i don't know, i just messed with the idle mixture screws and idle speed screw with a vacuum gauge and shot for best vacuum at the right idle. it got better after some tweaking.

glad to hear you're up and kicking a$$. :D

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Verify correct float levels, correct idle transfer slot exposure and idle mixture screw settings.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
another thought is to look down the throttle bores, it's happened to me before when a speck of teflon tape got into a needle/seat valve and the bowl actually overflowed into the carb. does it feel like a bog where there's too much gas coming in?

1381 - 1400 of 1480 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.