Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1480 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a set of L98 Corvette heads for my 307 for $400. This would resolve my oil usage problem and be a significant upgrade to my current mismatched powerpack/267 head. They are 56 cc's, so my compression will come up a good bit. The aluminum is nice too. Sound like a good deal?

Kev

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
They are ready to bolt on? Larger valves, and higher compression? I'm sorry what was the question again? If they are good heads, and ready to bolt on, I would say $400 is a good deal. I would jump on it with both feet!!

Randy (just my opinion though) ;)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah, what's up with that ??? we had that Columbian deal go sour too, cause of TIGHT $$$ !!!!!

hahahhahahahahha

make sure the heads will work with your configuration, Kev.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Don't you guys know the money will come from the bank of Mom & Dad??

If you are going to put a 350 (real engine :eek: ) in the Nova to replace the little 307, those heads will be a good addition.

Randy (then you can plan a complimenting combo) ;)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That was exactly my thought. Most of the small bore heads don't work well with 350's. These one's will do fine on both. Dave, I can buy your springs now, just got a paycheck and I sold off some books. I make $8.00 an hour in the summers plus umpiring and grass cutting, but money gets pretty tight during the school year though.

Kev

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know. Just letting you know that my wallet is getting fuller:).

Kev

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Don't forget I got this 350 sitting here for you.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought maybe you forgot about it Paul:).

Any idea on when you can get the project rolling? I may just put it off a summer and run the 307 a while longer.

Kev

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Might get rolling pretty soon now that I'm not going to Mexico. I figure you want me to keep it under $500?

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
i know you're set on getting this 307 to run as fast as you possibly can, but i personally think it's a pain in the a$$ to change a set of heads on a motor you're thinking of pulling out anyway. i know, the 307 will be better with these new ones than with the current set, but it'll save a set of head gaskets and a weekend of work if you just wait til it's time for the 350. just my two bits

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paul, do what you need to do. What kind of parts are going in to it? $500 would be great, but if you need to spend a little more that would be fine with me. Thanks a ton.

Kev

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
sproosemoose said:
i know you're set on getting this 307 to run as fast as you possibly can, but i personally think it's a pain in the a$$ to change a set of heads on a motor you're thinking of pulling out anyway. i know, the 307 will be better with these new ones than with the current set, but it'll save a set of head gaskets and a weekend of work if you just wait til it's time for the 350. just my two bits

Ditto....it seems like a lot fo work for what in reality is for nothing....Not sure if this is worth 2 bits but I will say its at least worth a dime :D

What is 2 bits

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it's a matter of limited resources and what I want to spend them on. I have a well designed set up now where all the pieces work pretty well together. It's taken me a couple years, but the combo all matches. I've always intended to meet some different goals when I went to a 350.

I want the 350 to be towards the ragged edge of streetable. I want a big solid cam, a 3500 converter, and I want to pretty much go racing with it. The 307 is pretty mild and works well for what I want it to do. It's got plenty of pep and still gets good gas mileage if I take it out to see the lady friend in Ohio. The motor still runs well and it kind of pains me to rip it out and throw it away when I'm satisfied with it for now.

I can spend $500 on the Wright Stuff claimer engine, but then I don't have a set of heads to complement it. I'm gonna want to add higher stall converter. I'm going to need to change the carb. Not to mention the agravation of swapping motors. I don't really think my father would be too supportive of swapping motors when everything works A-OK.

I'm really gonna be pushing my luck if I buy all this stuff too. I've been intending on using my summer work money on rent and food for next year so I don't have to take out a big private student loan next year and kill me later on. It sucks to pay for your education because $60,000 is a lot of money when you start thinking about interest.

The question is... instant gratification and future financial burden? Or plop a set of heads on top and enjoy what I have for a couple years?

Kev

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
novaboy009 said:
Paul, do what you need to do. What kind of parts are going in to it? $500 would be great, but if you need to spend a little more that would be fine with me. Thanks a ton.

Kev
Kev,
It'll be good quality parts (new rings, bearings, seals,) but don't expect any titanium rods or billet cranks. The block, crank, rods and maybe the pistons are used parts from my collection.
Are you going to use those Corvette heads on it? You might want to consider sending me the heads. I can give them a fluff up and install them.

My past experience with helping people is "no good deed goes unpunished".
I'm thinking I should put the engine on the run in stand so there's no problems or issues. That would mean permanently installing a cam, valvetrain and intake. If you have parts send them too otherwise we'll have to discuss what to use. As you know that's about $400 or more for that stuff.
I could use an off the shelf carb,distributor, fuel and water pump but take those parts off before loading it up in your truck or trailer. Then you swap the parts from the 307 and you're up and running in a weekend or two.

OK, and for all those that PM'd me thinking they'd get the same deal?

Fugheddabowdit.

This is a one time charity deal for Kev.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Kevin, another idea would be to take Paul's original offer and keep it at your parent's place for a year or so while you still run your 307. You'd be able to add on to the new motor as budget/time allows.

I should just give you those springs and bolts since I'm in such a good mood now after getting my Demon carb working wonderfully yesterday :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
111 Posts
novaboy009 said:
It sucks to pay for your education because $60,000 is a lot of money when you start thinking about interest.

Kev
Hey, there's a great new college financial aid program out there...

1) 100% Tuition..
2) Lodging and Food provided..
3) Clothing provided..
4) Opportunity for study abroad..

Apply at your local United States Armed Forces recruiter's station.

1 - 20 of 1480 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.