Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was trying to think of a way to keep paint(actually coating the outside of the inner fenders with spray on rocker guard) out of the bolt holes on the inner fenders and ended up using ear plugs. I rolled up the foam ear plugs and inserted in to the bolt holes. Once the ear plugs expanded they sealed the holes:yes:
Just have to remember to throw them out after:eek::D

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
DAMN!!! Thats why I come here. The tricks are what make working on these pigs worth it. I have used the rubber tapered plugs but I never would have thought to use the lil ear sponges that I go through on a regular basis.. Thanks for the tip. JR

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Why not just use bolts?
Some old bolts will keep the threads clean and are reusable.
That's what I do. I use the bolts before I clean them so I only have to clean them once.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My first thought was stick bolts in the holes. Second thought was to shoot a dab of grease in the hole. but I kind of like the ear plugs idea. you snagged them from work, I'm guessing?

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first thought was stick bolts in the holes. Second thought was to shoot a dab of grease in the hole. but I kind of like the ear plugs idea. you snagged them from work, I'm guessing?
Only the used ones of course:eek::D
My wife and I both work at jobs where ear plugs are in abundance. Suppliers like to give hand outs to attract sales.

As far as using bolts, I use to do that to. Problem is trying to find the right bolt for the hole,especially when everything has been apart for a while and you will have more paint,etc. to remove from the bolt if you want to reuse.This is quick, trick is not to put them in to far as they can be hard to get out.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
Ewwwwwwwwww !!!! LOL
Cool idea !I just turn my hearing aids off, now I can use the ear plugs we use too.

Aloha, Ric

·
5,145 Posts
My wife and I both work at jobs where ear plugs are in abundance. Suppliers like to give hand outs to attract sales.

As far as using bolts, I use to do that to. Problem is trying to find the right bolt for the hole,especially when everything has been apart for a while and you will have more paint,etc. to remove from the bolt if you want to reuse.This is quick, trick is not to put them in to far as they can be hard to get out.

I keep an assortment of bolts with flat washers welded to the heads, makes them easy to turn in and out by hand.
These are the same bolts I use to hang parts by wires for painting, hook an
S hook to the flat washer and hang the part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts