Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the fan ,and the relay and still i keep on blowing the fuse. Can a faulty thermostat cause the fuse to blow. Does anybody have a suggestion what it might be. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
887 Posts
What amp fuses are using? Should have 2 fuses. 1 for thermostat side switched 12v and a higher one constant 12v for the fan. The thermostat I would think not wood do that, but you could bypass it to find out. Disconnect it and add a jumper wire to ground if that's the kind you are using.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have only one 25amp fuse on the battery side. Thanks for the response i will try bypassing thermostat

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
check the rating of the relay, might need a 40/30 relay instead of what you're using...

make sure all connections are tight. if any wires are loose or poorly connected that will generate heat which could be where the problem is coming from...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to let you know that i did bypass the thermostat and the fan worked. So I'm off to by a new thermostat. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
You might want to consider useing a circuit breaker in place of the fan fuse.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'll start by saying that I "think" you're talking about a radiator cooling fan from your wording on the post. If so, my thoughts are relavent. If you're talking about the heater fan, then you'll be on your own with a wiring schematic to do your troubleshooting.

So I'll move forward with my thoughts that it is a cooling radiator fan that's been blowing fan fuses.

Most electric cooling fans do run through a relay of some sort. The relay has a power side that passes power from your source onto the fan motor. The main power wire feeding the relay would be the fuse side.

The thermostat "usually" just connects the coil power side wire to ground which in turn closes the relay. Upon closing the relay, the power will pass through the power side of the relay from the feed wire to the fan motor.

The coil side is separate from the power pass through side within the relay. Just shorting out the thermostat would only keep the fan running all the time.

I cannot see how bypassing the thermostat can stop the fuses from blowing, but weirder things have happened.

As a very "broad" rule of thumb, the fan will pull about 1 amp for every 100 cfm rating on the fan. So if you're running a 2700 cfm fan it would pull about 27 amps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts