Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever have this problem?
I have a low compression big block, and have tried all sorts of different shims, keep breaking the nose cone off of the starters. They are the cheap kind, and wanted to make sure it wasn't a shimming issue before buying a good one, but looking for any similar experiences. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
never had that problem with any of my starters, even with stock ones.

is your flexplate bent?? i know i had a problem with it hitting even after shimming, finally figured out that the plate was bent..just an idea

if not just step up and buy a mini starter, i love mine sounds cool plus they light and small..if that breaks you deff have an issue somewhere

N

·
0 Posts
starter

You have to get a cast iron nose cone , they came on trucks , and have the two different bolt paterns. should solve the problem

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
how's it sound while cranking... before the nose breaks ???

is there a grinding or clunking sound ??? maybe there's a spot on the flexplate with worn teeth.

that'll break a nose on a starter...

hope i helped :D

be Good !!! :D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Go to your local kragen ,shucks ,checker,autozone etc. and ask for part#3689s . this has a cast iron nose ,and is strong as you will find!!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If it is kicking back busting the nose off you might need a timing retarder or you could even have a rotor phase problem so it cross fires and busts it. Need a little more info about what it does when it breaks it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply's, I am ordering a high torque starter, and we'll see what happens. I run 20 degrees initial advance, and I do not have that nose cone support bracket on, so I think the cone is just to weak. I think the nose is flexing just to weak, will keep you posted, Thanks again..........

Gary

·
Registered
362 Posts
That initial timing is the culprit. A mini starter should resolve the problem. I run mine locked out at 38 degrees, I used to keep breaking noses when it popped through the carb. That much advance tends to ignite the flame and try to push the piston back down the hole before TDC. A stock starter turns slow enough that when the charge ignites there is just enough time for the combustion to resist turning. This will cause a mini backfire. The mini starters turn faster and usually will spin the motor quick enough to eliminate the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts