Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 69 nova with a 350 4BC, automatic b&n shift kit, cragar rims, comp cam, flowmasters exhaust, 30,000 on the engine, 2000 on the 350 turbo tranny. The engine is not the original. the two front seats have to be replaced sooner or later, and its got some rot in the trunk, and rot on the bottom of the quarter panels and doors. some problems are no kick down linkage, power steering pump out of alignment, no e-break cable, front shocks are leaking. major problems are the upper control arm bushing L/S are rotted and ripped, front say bar links are broken, and 5 out of the 6 sub frame mounts are rotted away. When i drive it, the car has wobbily steering. I took it to a mechanic a week after i bought it and he said that he can weld plates onto the sub frame where the bolts go. i didnt get an estimate from him yet (hes supposed to call later today), but does anyone know what a weld job like that should cost? im a 20 year old kid that not made of money. I paid 4000 for it, do u think i over payed? ive always dreamed of having this car since i was a kid.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Nice car.

If the steering is not a safety issue. You might want to start to look around for a sub frame. And do all the new suspension work to the sub frame and install it all at one clip!

Hard work, buts it's work. Not money.

And in the end you will have a better car. IMO!

Al

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Nice Nova, I just posted some info on subframe bushing ideas, but ill tell it again because it seems like you need some cheap back yard help, first off go buy four 5/8x3inch course thread bolts get 5 grade or better and 20 large 1/8 thick 2-1/2 washers at home depot. now replace one bushing at a time, for the rear use 6 washers to replace the 3/4" bushing and two to sandwitch it all together, if the old bolt spins then you can drill a 1/4 hole near the center of the bolt were it goes into the crossmember on the floor and jam the square nut thats in there with a 1/4 allen wrench, do both sides. For the front bushings take the bolts out and old bushings and flip them and reinstall them upside down and sandwitch those with two washers and new bolt, and tighten good. should only take 2 hours and $20 the sub will be solid to the body. ive done this to a buddys rotted 73 only i used aluminum bushings for the rear instead of washers. Your steering can be tightened up at the box using an allen wrench, just tighten it a little and try it out. Good luck and enjoy that car!

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Welcome to the site and excellent find for 4K, ther's alot of good car there, you have a nice platform to start with........wtg....:yes:

Take your time and do it right, go slow, like Al said, there are many things you can do yourself that don't require mountains of cash, just sweat equity.

There's a lot of great folks in here that have good ideas, and good used parts for sale, and sometimes for free, check the for sale section frequently.

Good luck and congrats on your new ride........welcome to the madness......:D

T,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. this site is pretty awesome, i stumbled upon it by accident..my first car was a 94 firebird, and i just had to go older no matter what the cost....just another quick question, how hard is it to replace the upper control arm bushing and put new sway bar links in if i were to do it myself?

·
Registered
247 Posts
easy

just changed all my control arm bushings only a few bucks each one....take whole arm off and press off and press new ones back in....even very cheap to have a shop press off if you need press.....the sway bar bushings will come with new bolts and bushings together...very quick change and very cheap, no special tricks with the sway bar....check ball joints while you have the control arm off.....only takes time....finished everything in a couple hours...:yes::devil:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/chevyguy268/IMG_4617-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Nice car.

If the steering is not a safety issue. You might want to start to look around for a sub frame. And do all the new suspension work to the sub frame and install it all at one clip!

Al
This probably the cheapest way to repair it, with another subframe.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Nice car.

Al
as usual...
Al is probably right.
id shop craigslist for another subframe if yours is really bad.
i found one for $200.
you can grind the welds down, make it look great, replace the bushings, ball joints, etc at your leisure and then slide it under your car.
dont rig up your current frame if its that bad.
you can find one still for CHEAP as i stated above.
i cant remember if you have discs already- if not, try to look for one with
discs- youd thank yourself later.

your car looks good on the exterior.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
took it to another mechanic for a different opinion...he had a 70 SS nova parked outside....whew those first guys really tried jerking me around. what they do is get people into thier shop with a 10$ "recession" oil change, and then tell u that ur car is dangerous to drive and could fall apart at any moment. This new guy said the subframe is in good condition, the main reason for the wobbily steering is that the subframes on these cars pulls the wheels in toward the motor so they sit like this:

/ /|motor|\ \

and the tires are pretty much bald on the half that grips the road. especially when it rains, its like driving on slicks. so im waiting for 2 Moog offset upper control arm shafts to come in so that they push the tires back out. i also needed 2 new shocks, the old ones were leaking. i found KYB gas-a-just ones on rockauto.com for 38.95 each. i also bought new stabilizer links, and new upper control arm bushings. once i install all of this, hopefully it'll handle like new :D

and i do have disks in the front, the previous owner spent $1800 to get it done, and it was a really nice job

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
That's good to know you're going to save some money and have someone to trust to!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sounds like a great project, and you made out well. I'm 19 and got my car when i was 15, i spent a little more than you and definitely got less car, but its pretty much been fully restored now. Mine was a daily driver for about 3 1/2 years, so i know what you were going through. It would really benefit you to look into a set of subframe connectors, you want your car to handle like new, but that was pretty terrible so these will help even more. Sounds like you have a lot you want to do, just do it in steps, it may take a while but its worth it to do things right the first time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts