Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep with a little paitience and some crafty internet searchs. i found a junk yard w a complete setup for my auto to stick conversion, (sorry it was the last one) bummer though i have manual brakes and this one is power brakes. but im sure ill find the right pedal one day. or jus have to start cuttin and weldin.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The brake pedal should have the hole in it already for the manual brakes. If not, just measure where yours is on your existing pedal and drill a hole in the new one. It's not that hard.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Just remove the pin from your manual brake pedal and install on the power brake pedal. Grind the back off and then just punch out the pin, drill a hole in the new pedal and tack weld it. The power brake pin does not have to be removed but the stop lamp switch actuator does need changed. Save the actuator just in case you decide to go to power brakes in the future. Did the seller state it was for a 75 - 79 Nova? Some yards here claim the Camaro parts will work but they will not.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Here are the dimples in the firewall to locate the holes.

Drilled out

boot and rod installed

frame bracket location

frame bracket installed

Pedals installed, the bracket they hang from does not need changed, it is the same for auto and manual trans cars.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
This is the return spring for the brake pedal, only used with manual brakes. It needs to be hooked up. If you look at the previous photo of the pedal comparisons you can see the little eye bracket it hooks to.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanx

man your a life saver thanx so. much now are those dimples there where the screws go to hold the boot on. and im scared of the weld braking, manual brakes will exert more pressure on the weld. ultimitely i would feel safer w a manual brake pedal. also i made it very clear to the junkyard it needed to be out of a nova. well just have to wait and see what shows up gonna go look at my car right now

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanx for reply

sure as snot the dimples are there what size is the clutch rod hole and are the holes in the frame already tapped or do i have to do it im also gonna install my richmond 5spd if the tranny crossmember isnt in the right spot im just gonna slide it to correct spot and drill new holes oh and my title says nova newbie but im not new to go going fast i also own a full 4-link smallblock s-10

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
The bolts that hold the frame bracket on are self tapping, and the big hole for the clutch rod is 1.25". I used a hole saw attached to my drill. Make sure it is for steel, the ones for wood will not cut the metal.

Transferring the pin on the pedal will not pose a safety risk. Grind the back of the pin off, it is just peened over. Look in this photo and you can see that if the flattened part is removed the pin can be driven out. Drill a hole in the new pedal and then take it to a shop or a friend to have it welded in place. It will actually be stronger then it was originally if welded properly.

I just sold a manual brake set up, if I still had it I would trade pedals with you. I had it listed here but no body bought it. Sold it on eBay.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I moved my cross member back to install the TKO 600 and had to drill new holes, but I think with the Richmond you may not have to. The frame drills easy if you have a sharp bit.

The Nova Newbie title will go away after you reach a certain number of posts, but I do not know what that number is.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx

thank alot for everything i got tons more ? but ill post them as they come up

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
k

just wanted to finish this thread out i got my kit last week and hell yeah the guy was wrong the pedals were out of a manual brakes how sweet is that now i dont need to do any modification just a direct swap thanx for all the info everybody ive learned more in month or so ive been on here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts