Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We attended the Ironman Classic this past weekend at Rockingham, NC. Although we didn't win an ironman, and couldnt run my car, we had a blast... not to mention I was graced with a "perfect run" when Dad let me drive old faithful (see avatar if it's still there) for the weekend.... .000 light, 7.320 off of 7.32 dial. I'm not AT ALL bragging, as I know how rare these are (especially footbraking) and it is much more luck than skill, to actually get all the 0's to come on the same run... but I did think it was pretty awesome.

Again, just wanted to share. :D

Lee

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Congrats on a great run. It is tough to do even with a box. RM

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I ran a perfect pass last summer, it felt like winning the lottery!!! I must've been locked in, cause I won the event:). Sounds like a great weekend, congrats!

Kev

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
For many years there was a Racing paper called Quick Times Racing News that was popular east of the Mississippi and they had a club called the Dead On club and Perfect Run club or words to that effect. If you had a perfect light or ran your dial with all zeros, the first round of competition and won, you sent them the slip and got into this club. Got your name in the paper and they sent you a decal. Becky White owned that publication and it folded when she was severly hurt in a car crash but that was a cool deal some years ago. Everyone wanted the decal to intimidate people.......LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
At I-57 Raceway in Benton, IL there was a Gremlim that raced there. The driver would cut .000 lights all the time; it would give him + or - .000 lights. he won or made the quarter finals almost every weekend. He also told me he paid income tax on the car every year he won so often with it.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Not accusing anyone of cheating but there are devices that some have used to cut lights like that but they are illegal in all classes. It's like the ET checkers many people use to use. IMO nobody can hit .000 lights everyday all day. That IMO is impossible for a human being to do. Same with the guys who run dead on everyday. When checked by those who know what to look for they are usually found then banned. Remember the banned 12 that were permanently banned by a certain body for cheating in Florida? They had poto eyes counting distance off the front tire compared against time so they could use the thottle to run dead on over and over again til they got caught. People and machines can be good but how can they be perfect ,forever? Can't be done without some help IMO. RM

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I agree with the light cutting, next to imposible to do. Close at a young age maybe or counting in your head,like I do. As far as consistancy, my 67 camero was very consistant, not dead on but very close. My friends dad had an AMX the had a bolt under the throttle and that car was almost dead on every time.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
A fast dragster on alcohol is the most consistant machine I have ever seen but you still have various weather situations that attack ET. Track temps are going to vary so even the best set ups have to change their dial ins. You see a guy run the same dial in every week in anything and he's probably not playing fair. Sun is going in and out of the clouds and a guy is .001 on the tree every pass, then it gets dark so the track cools off and he's still .00? and does it week after week, that is not possible either. I run a 4/10 pro tree and my car leaves real hard so it pulls the wheels every pass. I have red lite every pass I have run in the dark the past 2 years because in the class I run you can't run a delay box or any timers. In the daytime if it is sunny I am .03? usually. We are human and have limitations. I know I can rig up a device to stop me from going red at night but then I'd be cheating and I just don't like cheaters. I have lost the finals twice last year because it got dark. I say I'll wear sun glasses this year if it happens and just last Sat I lost second round with a .009 redlight, in the dark. Forgot the darn glasses.......LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Well Dave us old guys know some stuff........LOL. RM

·
Registered
556 Posts
Joe, I had one of those dead on decals on my old car. I remember Becky too, was she in the wreck with Bob Reed and his wife. I think Bob's wife passed away from her injuries. I went out the next round after going dead on but I was so happy to know I had that sticker coming.:D

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If you see my old Nova that Dennis hasup there you'll find several stickers still on it. I was real lucky and sort of good for a few years and was able to get several of each. Ole Becky was and still is a trip. She lives just up the road in Lincolnton NC. Always said what she thought even if nobody agreed or liked it........LOL. RM

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thats funny you mentioned sun glasses RM.. I wore a set at one event (during the day) and I noticed it slowed me down by about .2, I noticed this pattern after 3 runs with them on, and 3 runs without them, I was cutting .07, .06 lights. Never cut a .000 light yet.

Whats the most consistent footbrake car you guys have seen? Im one of the few in my class that still run a footbrake and im sure it's a disadvantage, but consistency wasnt my first priority. But I have won rounds against big tire/brake cars, including our track champ (in pro class), otherwise I would'nt have any confidence! I am in the top 10 points in my class so far this season, so i'll stay after it till im totaly broke! lol

and im always open to any advice you "old guys" can give us foot brake guys.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've cut several .000 lights ...and have also ran on the dial with a "0" on several occasions... but never both on the same pass. CONGRATS!!!
I think my best package so far was a .002 in eliminations. I've seen several footbrake cars that are deadly consistant, just like a super pro/electronics car. The lights are pretty tricky.. and you hardly ever see a footbrake car cutting a consistant .000 everytime. I'm happy with a consistant .040 or better on the tree.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the congrats guys. Yeah I have snuck out a couple of .000s before, and dead-on's... but definitely not consistantly. :)

Good job on the event win Kev. Are you lookin forward to 'spotting' a few more cars that u're used to when u get that 350 in? :cool:

SNS doesn't come up on my computer at work anymore for some reason.:( :confused: I have to check in here on the fly.

Thanks again,
Lee Roberson

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The most consistant FB guy I know would be Noah Anderson in the old Flying Wedge mopar wagon. He's been track champion at Mooresville every year but one consistantly for about 10 yrs now.......LOL. From like 1995 to now with just one year he didn't win it. He has run Pro and loaded alot of good people. RM

·
Registered
209 Posts
gr8ride_71 said:
I'm happy with a consistant .040 or better on the tree.
Wow! Knowing how hard that is in a footbrake car, yeah that's fantastic! I get frustrated when I see most my competitors with trans brakes and big tires, and me with my tiny 8" street tire footbrake car, but you footbrake tree killers give me new hope! It's cool to hear about guys that dominate their class with nothing more than good driving skills, and a consistent setup.

Our whole field has moved around this season where I am due to a track resurfacing. For the first few races of the season, everyone's short times were all over the place (most of the launch pad was just bare concrete to boot). My car would run a 1.71 on one pass, then a 1.62 on the next. So it really mixes things up when the track surface takes a dive! Sorta like racing on the street lol

Derek

1 - 20 of 22 Posts