Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and its WAYY more fubar then i thought it was.

Is there ANYTHING i can do to fix this thing or is it trash?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
I am with Bowtie on this one. It would be cheaper just to buy another one

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
just get a new one bro instead of fixing that piece of crap might as well get a new one, you dont know what kind of problems that one will give you if u were to fix it , to many cracks and chips

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know a few guys who can TIG. Ill see if they wont help me out.

If not i am going with the torker on my 307 build. :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Sometimes those intake castings are really pourous and even TIG welding will yield so-so results in building up material (better suited for repairing cracks, and even then it's tough). If the manifold has sentimental value, or you're dead set on using it, you might have better luck with using epoxy.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Is that kind of damage normal? Water and antifreeze should do that?

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
What kind of media did they use?The right kind of media shouldn't have done that?bm

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of media did they use?The right kind of media shouldn't have done that?bm
Just a regular box sand blaster. done by my dad..took him 5 minutes

it was already pretty bad before he did it...so i doubt he messed it up...

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Just a regular box sand blaster. done by my dad..took him 5 minutes

it was already pretty bad before he did it...so i doubt he messed it up...
What pressure was used? I never use sand to clean cast aluminum. I normally use glass bead at around 30 psi. You'd be surprised how much material is removed by sand blasting even new aluminum castings.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Sometimes those intake castings are really pourous and even TIG welding will yield so-so results in building up material (better suited for repairing cracks, and even then it's tough). If the manifold has sentimental value, or you're dead set on using it, you might have better luck with using epoxy.

I agree with Vince, trying to weld on that is just going to make it worse. I've repaired a couple with good 'ol JB weld. You'll have to do it in several stages which will take a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with Vince, trying to weld on that is just going to make it worse. I've repaired a couple with good 'ol JB weld. You'll have to do it in several stages which will take a couple of days.
thats what i was just thinkin:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
that looks like it was used in a saltwater motor. the salt will corrode the aluminum in the water jackets.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would buy another intake rather than spend time and money on that one. I recently purchased a perfect used Performer RPM on Craigslist for $50.00, I'll bet you would spend more $ than that to repair the damage.
Bill

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Hey Bruce,

I don't think it was the media that did that. It's corroded away. That is sometimes a problem with using aluminum manifolds with iron blocks. You can buy small anodes that hang in your radiator that will slowly scarafice themselves so your aluminum parts don't. Home water heaters have these anode rods as well. Once the anode rods are eaten away, the water heater starts being eaten. The main difference in a 10 year warrantied water heater and one with a 5 year warranty is the size of the anodes they install.
Ron

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Hey Bruce,

I don't think it was the media that did that. It's corroded away. That is sometimes a problem with using aluminum manifolds with iron blocks. You can buy small anodes that hang in your radiator that will slowly scarafice themselves so your aluminum parts don't. Home water heaters have these anode rods as well. Once the anode rods are eaten away, the water heater starts being eaten. The main difference in a 10 year warrantied water heater and one with a 5 year warranty is the size of the anodes they install.
Ron
I have an anode in my radiator...to protect my intake and afr heads.I still wouldn't have used sand on aluminum...he should have used glass or walnuts...sand is way too aggressive(good on steel).bm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts