Chevy Nova Forum banner

just got 350 sgi engine for free from a buddy

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  darricks77nova 
#1 ·
i just aquired a sgi 350 small block chevy it has the bosses for the roller cam spider tray and the cam plate but it has a flat tappet cam in as of right now i am going to put in a roller cam that is for the roller block any suggestions i was thinking of the lt4 hot cam but not sure just looking for advise and any would be apprecieated thanks in advance

#2 ·
Man those roller cams are pricey. I'm kinda' in the same situation. cept my block is a 305. It has the provisions for a factory roller too. So I've been collecting the parts from here and there. I found a factory roller cam from a 350 engine in the local junk yard..Just don't know the specs on it and it doesn't have a fuel pump lobe on it. So far, I can't find anything about it..Factory cam info must be some kind of guarded secret.. I also have the spider tray and roller lifters from an LT1. I've got the cam plate with the cam, BUT the bolt hole spacing is different in my 305 block. Come to find out theres like 2 or 3 different cam plates that were used. All I'm really missing is the correct cam plate, cam timming gear ( which is different than a flat tappet cam gear) and a bronze distributor gear. I plan on running this setup with my TPI that I am putting on it one day hopefully.
Your cam choice depends on what you're wanting the engine to do and what you're running it in.

#4 ·
Took it almost all apart tonight so I can get it prepped for cleaning the bores look good accept for the rust not sure if I can just get it honed but every thing else looked good rod bearings were like new and there was no play in the rods I may just have to get a simple rering kit im hoping have to find out what the machineist has to say about it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.