Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said in another post yesterday I was headed to some informal drag races at a small airport near by. Although it was kinda disorganized it was a fun day. First of all we do have some regular drag racers around here but not too many because the nearest track is over two hours away and the nicer ones are 4-5 hours away :(:( . A local club is trying to get something started and this was their second event. Judging by the turnout I think someone could make a go of a permanent facility. A couple of times I counted over 100 cars in the staging lanes...

This was strictly for fun and you just lined up and made passes all day if you wanted and many did. It was pretty much a "line up on a crack in the tarmac" thing and they had an old traffic light for a tree and you ran 1/8 mi. to some orange cones. There was only room for 1/8 because of another runway that crossed the one they were using and there were a few planes in and out during the course of the day. One advantage of the airport though was that you could run over to the pump and get some av-gas..:D

Here's a few pics........they are all in the pit and staging area because the layout didn't allow spectators to get close to the track :mad: something they'll need to work on for next time.

.watched this clean ornage 3rd Gen make a few passes

My 16 year old nephew made his first pass ever (and 2nd and 3rd and ....you get the picture) in his mom's 67 Camaro. He has a 68 RS that's almost on the road.

My friend Don's mini tubbed 54 Belair

His son's 67 Nova

Don and Joe in line, Joe's 38 Chevy PU runs a big block and a muncie and hauls!

There were a couple of Falcon Sprints there and this one was super clean

.....another nice 3rd Gen

This little Cobra made a bunch of passes

Ovals and Bowties were allowed to park together :D

This notchback had a 408 Stroker with a four speed. He won a few and lost a few and was a blast to watch.

I really liked this 56 Sedan until I walked around the back and saw the license plate recessed into the passenger side of the trunk lid:mad::confused: Must of been a Mini-Trucker

This was a real sweet 55/56 PU too with radiused front wheel wells

This was the closest thing I seen to Milner vs. Falfa :cool:

Mountain Thunder brought their portable dyno and it was quite popular:yes: This 396 Chevelle made 413 HP and 399 Ft. Lbs.

And over in the "That just AIN'T RIGHT" catagory was this 4 cyl. All-Wheel drive Eagle Talon:devil: I watched this guy make toast of folks all day long! He totally embarassed the Z06 beside him, he spanked an SRT Charger, an SRT Challenger and a slew of PRO Street cars. The only time I saw him loose was to a full on 69 Camaro that looked barely street legal and the Camaro owner said later that he thought the Talon missed a gear:eek:

JMO but I think I'd rater drive this and be slow:D

It was a fun day here, hope everyone had a great 4th.

Daymon

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Cool, fun run drags are a great think for street cars that don't want the hassle of a regular drag strip. It's street racing in a fun, safe, and legal way. Maybe if this airport keeps it up you guys can raise some money for a basic timing system, something that's not permanent. That's what they used to do at an airpot around here we used to run at. It only gave times, and no mph, but it was something. Where in WV are you located and which airport was the racing at?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where in WV are you located and which airport was the racing at?
I'm in Buckhannon and the races were at the Elkins Randolph County airport. The club hosting the event was Jolly Rogers Motorsports from Clarksburg. I do hope they are able to continue with it, they have another event planned for the fall during the Forrest Festival. This event coinsided with the Mountain State Street Machines annual car show at the Elkins City Park. I think it's probably the biggest show in the state with 400-600 cars usually attending. If you have never gone to this one you really ought to try and make it down next year. We were planning to go today but right now we're waiting for it to stop raining :(:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You're really in the middle of nowhere for racing. Your closest real drag strip is what, Kanawah? That's a nice area for a show/cruise though. Let us know next year when it's coming up, It's not that big of a drive from Wheeling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts