Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so like the title says I just bought one....Just want to get an insight before I actually get it. So does anyone have it? And how do ya like it?

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
i loved mine. i got it free from my cousin along with a pair of bucket seats not long after i got my nova. but it was old and eventually the pin that lets you "ratchet" broke and it would just slide all the way through all the gears. no more slapstick...so i bought a pistol grip quarter stick. i wouldn't hesitate to drive or own another quicksilver for any reason at all, but i really like the quarter stick at the strip. it's got a button in the handle, and i like the lockouts better.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
back in the day all we ran was those quicksilver shifters. They work great! just make sure the cable is adjusted correctly.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I drove a car with one a couple times...HATED it! I can't stand ratchet shifters. But that's just a personal preference. My B&M Pro Stick is ancient and I got it used; works great.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Winters shifters.... they were great...

the quick silver shifter is a breeze to install, adjust, and use...

would still rather have a 5sp with a Vgate:devil::D
they are the same.!!
I wonder??

But guess what!!!

they make the next shifter !!!

Thanks for posting that!

http://www.wintersperformance.com/catalogs/SideWinder/0a.htm

700r4!!!!!

I am so happy!!!!

AL
PS: Seems the Shifters are now Maverick performance??
http://www.wintersperformance.com/catalogs/SideWinder//main.htm

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
they are the same.!!
I wonder??

But guess what!!!

they make the next shifter !!!

Thanks for posting that!

http://www.wintersperformance.com/catalogs/SideWinder/0a.htm

700r4!!!!!

I am so happy!!!!

AL
PS: Seems the Shifters are now Maverick performance??
http://www.wintersperformance.com/catalogs/SideWinder//main.htm

I remember Winter's shifters back in the mid 70's they were over the top compared to every thing else.(now turbo action) if I recall right around 1979 the Winters/turboaction shifter was 450.00 when the average B&M could be had from 59.00 to 99.00

Still the Winters was so smooth and easy....I bought one at a swap meet for a song... 75.00 dang thing looked almost new.... complete with all the brackets, cable, mounting hardware...

gave it My good friend Sam some 5 to 6 months later..... we are always trading parts back and forth...its to the point were if I want something he has and has no plan for it..... its mine.. same goes for Sam... Actually I just gave Sam a New Eagle 400 Crank and a 817 Virgin block

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Ahhhhh.... The old "Cheetah" shifters. They've gone by many names. Probably one of the oldest living designs available.:yes: My Brother-in-law swore by them and had one in my Sis-in-laws Mustang. Smooth as butter.

I still prefer my ratchet shifter. Smack it in a panic as hard as you want and you'll still only get ONE gear.:yes: Truly as "Idiot proof" as you can get.

Not to mention you can get a ratchet shifter to fit in several different consoles and the MP/Cheetah/Winter's/Turbo Action :rolleyes: requires a bit more room.:yes:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I remember Winter's shifters back in the mid 70's they were over the top compared to every thing else.(now turbo action) if I recall right around 1979 the Winters/turboaction shifter was 450.00 when the average B&M could be had from 59.00 to 99.00

Still the Winters was so smooth and easy....I bought one at a swap meet for a song... 75.00 dang thing looked almost new.... complete with all the brackets, cable, mounting hardware...

gave it My good friend Sam some 5 to 6 months later..... we are always trading parts back and forth...its to the point were if I want something he has and has no plan for it..... its mine.. same goes for Sam... Actually I just gave Sam a New Eagle 400 Crank and a 817 Virgin block

I can buy a kit to change mine to 7000R4 when I am ready!
Even thow I have a Turbo Action I can get the change-over from maverick and walla!:yes:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you have to lift up the shifter to get it in reverse and you cant get it in reverse from neutral. it rachets up from 1st to neutral. i like it
I like that! So how does it work from park down to 1st?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts