Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that when you swap in a BBC into a SBC car the 2 main concerns are the heater core and motor mounts. Well I have a set of SBC motor mounts out of a 72 that I got for free and was hoping to use these. I am converting to manual steering, I have a master cylinder with no power brake booster, and I have also removed my heater core and smoothed over that area so that's not an issue. Would it be possible to use those SBC motor mounts since I don't have the power brake booster, heater core, and have converted to manual steering or do I still need them for header clearance?

-Paul

·
Registered
748 Posts
When I did the swap a little over a year ago I used Moroso solid steel motor mounts for a small block. I left my heater box alone, even have it hooked up and working. It's a little tight but not bad. I'm running manual brakes with no power booster.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I did the swap a little over a year ago I used Moroso solid steel motor mounts for a small block. I left my heater box alone, even have it hooked up and working. It's a little tight but not bad. I'm running manual brakes with no power booster.
Thanks, just the information I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I am also using SBC mounts with the extreme energy polyurethane mounts, heater core in also just not hooked up.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys think that I should go with solid mounts of the Poly mounts from Prothane? Will there be much difference?

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
If cost were not that much of an issue (I don't know how much difference there is) I would go with the Prothanes if they will handle the HP you plan to go with. Mine also has the solid mounts and the car shakes and rattles pretty good. For a nice dd like you have I would want a "softer" mount and less rattle...JMO
My car has the SBC mounts in it and the heater core is in it (doesn't work though), no power brake booster (though I wish it had power brakes) and the headers hit my power steering box but it works....

·
Registered
482 Posts
if you want the true hot rod feel( rough). go solid mounts. if you want more comfort go prothane. personally I dont like the solid mounts expecially if you have solid body mounts too. the whole car will rock to one side when you romp on the gas.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about fuel line? I have the factory fuel lines from the tank up to the front right now. Should I get some bigger lines while I have everything apart and the tank drained of gas? The motor is rated at 425hp and 500lb/ft and I'll be running a Holley Street Avenger 770 with electric choke and vacuum secondaries.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Im running small block frame mounts and one solid motor mount on the drivers side. on the passenger side I have the stock sbc mount. this serves two purposes - it stops the mounts from breaking, and it raises the driver side so you can install a header without having to unbolt the mount and raise the engine.

the disadvantage is that if the headers dont hang down low enough, you will have trans crossmember clearance issues like Im having right now on the drivers side. will need to do some "mods" to make it fit

btw, I have the other mount stored. you can have it for cheap- will save you having to buy two

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im running small block frame mounts and one solid motor mount on the drivers side. on the passenger side I have the stock sbc mount. this serves two purposes - it stops the mounts from breaking, and it raises the driver side so you can install a header without having to unbolt the mount and raise the engine.

the disadvantage is that if the headers dont hang down low enough, you will have trans crossmember clearance issues like Im having right now on the drivers side. will need to do some "mods" to make it fit

btw, I have the other mount stored. you can have it for cheap- will save you having to buy two
PM sent...

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
What about fuel line? I have the factory fuel lines from the tank up to the front right now. Should I get some bigger lines while I have everything apart and the tank drained of gas? The motor is rated at 425hp and 500lb/ft and I'll be running a Holley Street Avenger 770 with electric choke and vacuum secondaries.
I would go ahead and run the bigger lines. at least -6. and you also want to use a pump and fittings that dont choke the flow.

And, I would not use a 770 avenger. I had it on my motor and it was SOFT.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Id get a Q-jet myself, nothing like the roar and big load of power. Had holley, now eddy and 3 previous QJ's and i must say nothing like it and there never will be. I might just rebuild the one i have forsale and replace the eddy with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts