Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some advice in what I would need to get a 12 bolt out of a junkyard? Im talking if I have to pick it myself. I have a hand jack and jackstands. And Im going to bring a toolbox with sockets annd wrenches. Any other thing to think of?

·
14,584 Posts
Don't forget something to cut the rubber brake line that feed the rears just in case you can't get it loose. Be sure and stack some wheels underneath the car also, particularly under the very back of the car so it can't come down on you.

Be sure and take penetrating oil, breaker bar with a cheater, big hammer.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Don't forget something to cut the rubber brake line that feed the rears just in case you can't get it loose. Be sure and stack some wheels underneath the car also, particularly under the very back of the car so it can't come down on you.

Be sure and take penetrating oil, breaker bar with a cheater, big hammer.
Now I have all those things. Thanks alot. I may bring a hand truck also and/or dollies.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wish I had a cordless sawzall. I may have to take a stop off at homedepot. My odds may not be good but I know a yard with older impalas. If not I know for sure they have newer novas so an 8.5 may not be out of the question. I have some 3/4 inch plywood so the jack doesnt sink into the ground. Ill bring a camera if I see anything odd. Im heading out tommorrow to check the still existing pick and pulls I know of.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I wish I had a cordless sawzall. I may have to take a stop off at homedepot. My odds may not be good but I know a yard with older impalas. If not I know for sure they have newer novas so an 8.5 may not be out of the question. I have some 3/4 inch plywood so the jack doesnt sink into the ground. Ill bring a camera if I see anything odd. Im heading out tommorrow to check the still existing pick and pulls I know of.
You can probably rent a sawzall from a rental co.. Take someone with you too if you got a bud to help out....Most yard guy's will help you out too if you slid them a $10 spot...

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok the Novas had been completely stripped clean. The Impalas were gone. I did find a 2nd gen camaro with a 10.5 inch rear and multileafs. I really just want the rear to mess with while I drive the Nova with the 8.2. I would like to have a narrowed rear for my Nova and Im looking for a donor. Im prepared to cut the axle tubes since the rear is 1 inch longer and move the leaf spring perches. My brother has an upright bandsaw but Im not sure if this would be the best way to narrow it.

My friend said he would help me out tommorrow morning to get it and he has a cordless sawzall. he may even have a cutting torch but they had them at the yard. The guys at the yard said they would help me by lifting the car with a forklift so I could get the rear.

If this rear would work what do you think I should pay for it. Also the leafs looked in good condition so Im almost thinking of grabbing those too. This place is usually good about price if you remove the parts yourself.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I would really like some info on rebuilding this 10 bolt. I would really appreciate any good links on 8.5 rear ends. I want to do moser axles and a better carrier. I have the rear end home and cover off but if you want pictures I can take some but I figured most people know what a 10 bolt looks like.(3/4 ring bolts, 1 1/4 inch pinion nut). Going to get either moser or strange axle housing ends.

I counted the ring gear teeth and got 41 and the ring gear numbers read.

gm 125206517 41 12 77

According to the internet its a 3.42 Ratio ring and pinion. Do you think this would be a performance ratio for a 700r4?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I have 3.73's and a 700R4 in my 63 (205-60-15's). At 60 mph I'm at about 2100 or 2200 rpm. I like it :yes:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I may end up keeping the 3.42s. Its going to save me some cash and I heard the gear may be better since Im running some decent torque.

I need to figure out what housing ends I need and I have plans on how to extend the leaf spring mounts without affecting the pinion angle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts