Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a junk 350 in my Nova. It's from a Caprice. Unknown mileage, but compression, leakdown and oil pressure is very good. I don't want to throw a lot of money at this engine (paying off debt). I have a pretty good selection of parts sitting around my garage, and I'm curous to see what I can do.

The car is running a blistering 14.6 quarter mile currently with stock 72/6 cc heads (very ugly ports) and a .410 lift RV camshaft, holly 600 and Eddy Performer RPM. The car ran 12's last year with the good motor, but I drive the car every day in the summer and don't want to get crappy mileage or be a pain to drive. Solid 13's would be nice.

I have in the inventory -

.454/.454 218/218 Elgin Cam. Was in my 307 a long time ago, but in good condition. Would need a new set of lifters, but they're cheap enough. I'm wondering if the springs on my good heads would be too much though. The old cam was a .510/.510 244/244 hydralic with 1.6 rockers (.540/.540). Might just be better to get a complete cam kit including springs for $140 or a little bigger cam and lifter kit for $90 from Competition Products. Something like the Comp Magnum 280 grind .480/.480 230/230.

.447/.447 222/222 327/350 knock off cam.

I have some 1.6 roller rockers. That would get the .454/.454 up to .484/.484. Also have 1.5 long slot stamped Crane rockers.

Good Heads - S/R Torquers, 67 cc, ports ended up around 190 cc. 2.02/1.60, flowing 246 @ .500 lift.

I'll use my Performer RPM manifold. Have a 750 Proform DP. Maybe a little much for a driver, but I could throw it on for the track, or just deal with a little bit crappy mileage. Current carb is a little 4160 VS 600 holley with some "trick" stuff.

What do you guys think, can I get my fat 4th gen to mid 13's with the junk sitting around my house and a gasket kit?

Kev

PS. 3.73 posi rear end, moroso trick springs, 90/10 drag shocks, battery relocated to trunk, heavy pontiac rally wheels, 3600 lb. car, street tires and drag radials in inventory

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
On my junk 350--Just adding the AFR's from my good engine, and changing to 1.6 rockers made it go from a best of 8.32 to 7.60. I swapped out the 600+lb. roller springs for some 140/300lb. hydraulic type springs. The cam is 216°@.050/.454 w/1.5 rockers. Same intake you have with a 750 vac.sec. Holley.
Stock heads were 76cc-AFR's are 64cc, so compression came up quite a bit.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will these springs be okay with a .454/.454 218 cam?

Howards, Performance Street/Strip Valve Springs, Hyd. FT
Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Mechanical Flat Tappet Valve Springs
O.D.: 1.265
I.D.: .875
Style: Single w/Damp
Seat Pressure: 115 @ 1.750
Open Pressure: 340 @ 1.250
Rate: 425
Coil Bind: 1.150
Max Lift: .550
Retainer: 97112, 97132, 97214

The guy at Competition Products said the pressure is a little higher than the regular LT1 springs, but the main difference is it gives you more height to work with (more clearance for the higher lift). I'm a little light on valve spring knowledge.

It's $46 for lifters. If I had my druthers, I'd probably go for the lunati voodoo262 cam kit (.468/.489) for $186, but that's blowing my $150 self imposed/wife imposed budget.

I'm just a little nervous about reusing a camshaft, even though I know it's low mileage and in good shape from when I pulled it out. Anyone have any experiences good or bad on reusing cams?

Kev

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have a junk 350 in my Nova. It's from a Caprice. Unknown mileage, but compression, leakdown and oil pressure is very good. I don't want to throw a lot of money at this engine (paying off debt). I have a pretty good selection of parts sitting around my garage, and I'm curous to see what I can do.

The car is running a blistering 14.6 quarter mile currently with stock 72/6 cc heads (very ugly ports) and a .410 lift RV camshaft, holly 600 and Eddy Performer RPM. The car ran 12's last year with the good motor, but I drive the car every day in the summer and don't want to get crappy mileage or be a pain to drive. Solid 13's would be nice.

I have in the inventory -

.454/.454 218/218 Elgin Cam. Was in my 307 a long time ago, but in good condition. Would need a new set of lifters, but they're cheap enough. I'm wondering if the springs on my good heads would be too much though. The old cam was a .510/.510 244/244 hydralic with 1.6 rockers (.540/.540). Might just be better to get a complete cam kit including springs for $140 or a little bigger cam and lifter kit for $90 from Competition Products. Something like the Comp Magnum 280 grind .480/.480 230/230.

.447/.447 222/222 327/350 knock off cam.

I have some 1.6 roller rockers. That would get the .454/.454 up to .484/.484. Also have 1.5 long slot stamped Crane rockers.

Good Heads - S/R Torquers, 67 cc, ports ended up around 190 cc. 2.02/1.60, flowing 246 @ .500 lift.

I'll use my Performer RPM manifold. Have a 750 Proform DP. Maybe a little much for a driver, but I could throw it on for the track, or just deal with a little bit crappy mileage. Current carb is a little 4160 VS 600 holley with some "trick" stuff.

What do you guys think, can I get my fat 4th gen to mid 13's with the junk sitting around my house and a gasket kit?

Kev

PS. 3.73 posi rear end, moroso trick springs, 90/10 drag shocks, battery relocated to trunk, heavy pontiac rally wheels, 3600 lb. car, street tires and drag radials in inventory
Run the SR torquer heads to bring the compression up, also use a steel shim head gasket for sure with the stock deck height block and factory .020 in the hole pistons. Use that Elgin cam with your performance springs and the 1.6 rockers-it'll be just fine if you do a regular break-in with new lifters. The RPM manifold and 750DP will also work fine. I bet you'll be well into the 13's-easy if ring seal is OK!!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered everything I need to swap from summit for less than $100 including shipping.....just need some VR-1 oil and RTV from the parts store. I know what I'm doing this weekend :devil::devil::devil:

Kev

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parts showed up early this morning. I tore it down, put my cam in and added the good Paul Wright heads. Need another couple hours tomorrow, but I think we'll be roasting hides tomorrow night. Pics to follow.

My wife is in Utah right now, so I've had a lot of free time to get things done!!!

Kev

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Must be something in the wind that blows through here. I just started putting my 350 back together. New bearings and valve springs. Should be complete in a couple days. The 421 is going to sit this summer out. I hope to be back racing in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ya get her running Kev? My engine is together now but still on the stand for a few more days. The 421 has something wrong, not sure what. cam bearing misaligned, cam tunnel out of whack, dunno at this point.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just finished up breaking in the cam. For the first time in my life, there was absolutely no drama with break in. Fired on the first crank. 15 minutes at 2500 rpm. Started creeping up to about 220 degrees or so, so it was time to shut down and let her cool off. Kept the plug wires all together, took pictures of where the dizzy was when I took it out, and kept track of TDC/180 out as I went through the valves and hooked up the timing chain. No oil leaks, no coolant leaks (except for when I noticed water was coming out as I filled it up - water temp sensor was unplugged). Haven't seen what the idle is like, but it free revs really nice. I think the little 600 Holley will choke it, but it's set up well right now, so I only want to change one or two things at a time.

I'm gonna go for a little test run and see how it goes!

Kev

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
What cam did you decide on? What lifters did you use?
Did you lift the rocker covers to see if the push rods are spinning?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Cam is the 218/218 .454/.454 that came out of my 307. No wear on it that I could see. Lifters were new - summit brand. I think they're the generic sealed power that everyone uses. I soaked everything in Erson break in lube and added the zinc adder. VR-1 Racing Oil. Picked up the valve covers and everything was spinning..... that's a really neat trick, by the way! I thought oil would go everywhere, but it wasn't that messy....

Kev

By the way, I used this really neat stuff from permatex - it was kind of pricey at $10, but it pretty much stays pliable permanently. You just let it set up a little and plop it down. Seals like cement!

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Hylomar_Universal_Blue_Racing_Formula_Gasket_Dressing_Flange_Sealant.htm

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds very healthy, but I can't get it to idle worth a poop. Below 1200 rpm it starts to stutter and die. Plenty of timing, all 8 plugs are firing. Floats are fine, "idle" mixture seems close. The carb hasn't been messed with, so I don't think that's the problem. Checked all the vacuum points like 5 times. No go on the carb gasket, intake manifold, pcv, vac advance or trans modulator. I'm going to pull the valve covers and run through the valves. Maybe I pulled them down a little too tight or left them a little loose.

Kev

1 - 15 of 15 Posts