Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post a junk build that you have done, times you ran and about how much it cost you

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well i pulled a motor from a 70 or so truck took heads off ,manifold distributer all the stock stuff. installed a pair of camel hump heads that where milled to 58 cc i dont remember. comp magnum 280 cam liters , timing chain pushrods and roller rockers , was givin a holley strip dominator manifold , had done some work for a guy and he gave me his flame thrower distributor, and a guy in menifee ca bought the wrong type of carb for his boat so i picked it up for 100 bucks. the motor looked good when i pulled the old heads off cleaned up the pistons cylinders still had cross hatched marks in them which told me that the motor was a fresh rebuild maybe 5000 miles on it took of stock pan and installed a moroso pump , pan , and pickup all the berings looked really good they looked like they just got installed so i installed it in my 64 here are the picks i recently sold the car to my sister. the car was a parts car for my 63 but it had all the running gear in it even a super t-10 all i had to get was a lakewood bell housing. in all i think i spent maybe 500 bucks on this build and this was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. i never ran the car just used it for my daily driver

·
Registered
726 Posts
my 71 nova I have now. I paid 300 for it with a 9" and 4.30 spooled rearend. I got it running with a 496bbc th400 4200TS stall and cal tracs and with the stuff I sold off the car and stuff I bartered and traded and ebay I am at around 5000-5500 running [email protected] in the 1/8th but I need more tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
71 nova 307 with a th350 tranny. was given this car for a first car. so far I have put about 700 into it.
My plans for it is a top end build for it and eventually a turbo charger :devil: I am hoping to spend under 2k for the motor build (including the turbo set up):yes:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
in 1978 bought a 275hp 327 for 50.00, a complete gasket set for 25.00, tore it gown to the short block, spent another 5.00 in quarters at the car wash.. installed a old bbc oil pump and pickup.... a old troker intake.. some old aluminum valve covers.. picked up a good AVS at the salvage yard for a 1.00, carb rebuild kit 5.00....

stuck it in a 1968 elcamino I picked up for 300 ... never turned a time on it.... sold it for 1200.00

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Back in high school, I had my 67 Firebird as a daily driver. When I bought the car for $1500.00, but it needed alot of work. Well, my folks wouldn't let me register or drive the car untill the body work and paint was done. They figured that once I'd put that much time and money into the car, I wouldn't go out and do somethign really stupid in it. Well, after a year of my work and the bodymans work, the car was done. The first night out cruising in the car the engine seized. Well out came that 400 and I found a 400 from a 197 Catalina in a junkyard for $100.00. We took it hime, cleaned the sludge off the outside, stuck a Comp Cams 292 cam and lifters in it. The engine that came with the car had roller rockers and a Holley 650 speradbore carb on it, so we reused them with a stock cast iron intake, the 3 tube headers that came on the car, and the famous "Saturday Night Special" 2000 stall converter. I had like $350.00 in that engine. Cheap gasket set form Nationwise. That car actually ran pretty strong from about 2500rpm up to about 5000rpm, smoking like a freight train from worn rings, but hey it was running adn sounded good thru the Cherry Bomb header mufflers:D(hey, I was 17). With the open 2.56 rear end, cheap white letter radials, and ALOT of tire spin, that engine ran a best of 9.75 1/8th mile. Our timing system didn't give a mph, just an ET. I know, that's a low 15 second car, but for a cheap drivetrain, I figured that was ok. I was sure a posi and 4.10's would have dropped that car down into the 8 second range, especially with the used up circle track slicks we could get from local racers for free! Found out later, that's how they saved the disposal fees, left it up to us to dispose of them. Sad part was, that was among the fastest cars on the street in my hometown back in the day. There was a 71 Challenger with a 440 and everything fiberglas possible, and a 350 Monza with 4.56's that were the elite, but man, remember how fast we thought we were back then?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I've done a couple of "junk" builds. My 1st V8 I had in my 64 was from a junk yard. I bought it for $800 running. All stock out of a 71 chevelle. It had a Qjet and stock manifolds. I put a performer and 600 holley I got from the pleasanton swap meet. Then added HEI. Then added a comp cams 268 cam and double roller chain. Then headers. Only thing I bought new were the cam and lifters and gaskets. Everything else was from swap meets and from friends that had used parts. I may have had &1500 total in the engine. Ran excellent. Later I found it had 1 .040" over piston.

Next one was for my old 70 nova. I traded my 6 cylinder for a 350 shortblock out of a 91 chevy truck. Had 100,00 miles and only thing wrong with it was it had 2 bad freeze plugs. Poured gas thru the lifter valley and got rid of the gunk and carbon build up. Bearings were good. Still had a cross hatch in the bores. Added some used 76 cc 882 heads I got for $150, used solid lifter cam, used chain, Z/28 intake and 750 carb I had laying around. Bought the exhaust for $100 with headers. Also used rockers, pushrods, etc. 30 psi oil pressure at idle. Another good running junkyard build.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to u guys, Im starting to understand thats its all about having fun and being happy with what u have.:salute:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i didnt have a "junk" build but it sure ran like it. Im pretty sure u guys could have outran me anyday:eek:. I had a 355sbc with edelbrock rpm heads (70cc)and intake, comp 274 extreme energy cam, 600 edelbrock carb and 670 street avenger, 1.52 comp rockers, 3.73 gears, 2500 stall and it ran horrible. It prob had 8:5 to1 compression if that. It seemed real sluggish at the low end, but when it hit 3k rpm it woke up a lil. And i still only mustard a 15 sec 1/4 mile time. I kept running 9.50 at the 1/8th:(:(:(

·
Registered
185 Posts
63' Wagon: $500
LQ4 shortblock: $200
5.3 heads w/ rockers: $100
custom cam: $400 (high dollar piece :D )
Th400: free
9" rear: -$50 (swapped for a spare 350 and $50)
LS6 oil pump: $15
Coil packs: $35
Water pump: free
Alt.: free
Starter: free
electric fans: free
alum. rad.: free
Wilwood front brakes: Free, incomplete kit, (need to buy hubs and brackets)
Breard buckets: free
Eledbrock Vic Jr: 280
MSD box: 300
Holley 750: free
Caltracs: Homemade
Sub Frame Connectors: Homemade
$1685 total so far

Most of the free stuff is used.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dude u just came up!!!! I hope to come up on something like that

63' Wagon: $500
LQ4 shortblock: $200
5.3 heads w/ rockers: $100
custom cam: $400 (high dollar piece :D )
Th400: free
9" rear: -$50 (swapped for a spare 350 and $50)
LS6 oil pump: $15
Coil packs: $35
Water pump: free
Alt.: free
Starter: free
electric fans: free
alum. rad.: free
Wilwood front brakes: Free, incomplete kit, (need to buy hubs and brackets)
Breard buckets: free
Eledbrock Vic Jr: 280
MSD box: 300
Holley 750: free
Caltracs: Homemade
Sub Frame Connectors: Homemade
$1685 total so far

Most of the free stuff is used.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And how do u plan on doing all that. Plz fill me in

71 nova 307 with a th350 tranny. was given this car for a first car. so far I have put about 700 into it.
My plans for it is a top end build for it and eventually a turbo charger :devil: I am hoping to spend under 2k for the motor build (including the turbo set up):yes:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in 1978 bought a 275hp 327 for 50.00, a complete gasket set for 25.00, tore it gown to the short block, spent another 5.00 in quarters at the car wash.. installed a old bbc oil pump and pickup.... a old troker intake.. some old aluminum valve covers.. picked up a good AVS at the salvage yard for a 1.00, carb rebuild kit 5.00....

stuck it in a 1968 elcamino I picked up for 300 ... never turned a time on it.... sold it for 1200.00

I wish those prices were still in affect these days:yes:

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I have about $240 dollars in my work truck including tax, title, and license. Not a Nova but it was cheap. 1990 Chevy K1500 with 137,000 miles. Bought the truck with milky oil and had to replace an intake gasket and put a battery in. The truck has less than a 1000 miles on the $500 worth of new tires. The kicker is a week after I bought the truck I brought it over to the guys house I bought it from to remodel his bathroom. The truck paid for itself the first day. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts