Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yesterday we got the subframe out from under the car the body mount bracket that we knew was rotted, was rotted pretty bad and the other side wasn't as bad but was on its way to be. Also took the interior out and yanked the floor covering out to see how bad the floor pans were, front drivers side is the worst area and the pass side has some minor holes so those will be replaced.
So will be ordering body mount bracket repair kit and floor pans. Also I got my first mig welding lesson that was fun have a lot more practice to do, and got my first blood blister from this nova haha

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ordered some patch panels for the floor some of which are on backorder until April 1st so in the meantime i tore the headliner/mouse house down super gross, removed the pedals and dimmer switch so easy access for the toe board to get worked on, might remove dash pad this week i know there is a small hole in the metal where the pad ends and before the window begins since we will be welding the floors soon maybe its worth seeing how bad that is too.
Also while i was working inside the car my husband was working on the rotted bodymount brackets, did one side but still needs to take the hole saw to it

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
great progress. it's a shame because i saw repop floor pans for sale down your way forever on craigslist for cheap.

i may be twisted, but totally love green interiors.

good luck with your project.

-Rusty

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well part of my order from March 1st finally showed up. Now I still need to hunt down toe boards.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,212 Posts
Nice pans . . . . . Hi Jen .

Going good ; biggest thing IS do something every day . . . to you car . . . keep going .

and , look at this pic of your 'firewall / heater box area' :

Have you "removed" . . . your heater box . . . ?

2 main reasons - - -

1 . - - a great "mouse house area (inside that cover) " . Plus , you are this close . . . . needs cleaning
out , anyway , after all those years .

2. - - Let's talk = "Hidden Vin # 's " .
........... now would be the time (for you) too look & check that your car "matches" .
Write down u'r complete VIN # . . . . and , good reading - - - Here :

hidden vin# location | Page 2 | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

The entire post is good info , plus you need more things . . . . . too keep you busy , lol .

and , do you know about :

NovaResource - Chevrolet Nova VIN Decoder

also , a very good "resource of all years - - - Nova info (you can check : motor #'s ; trans #'s ;
and even your 'rear - end' #'s . . . . . (on your car - - lol) .

Have fun , and be safe out there .

later , jim

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nice pans . . . . . Hi Jen .

Going good ; biggest thing IS do something every day . . . to you car . . . keep going .

and , look at this pic of your 'firewall / heater box area' :

View attachment 419452

Have you "removed" . . . your heater box . . . ?

2 main reasons - - -

1 . - - a great "mouse house area (inside that cover) " . Plus , you are this close . . . . needs cleaning
out , anyway , after all those years .

2. - - Let's talk = "Hidden Vin # 's " .
........... now would be the time (for you) too look & check that your car "matches" .
Write down u'r complete VIN # . . . . and , good reading - - - Here :

hidden vin# location | Page 2 | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

The entire post is good info , plus you need more things . . . . . too keep you busy , lol .

and , do you know about :

NovaResource - Chevrolet Nova VIN Decoder

also , a very good "resource of all years - - - Nova info (you can check : motor #'s ; trans #'s ;
and even your 'rear - end' #'s . . . . . (on your car - - lol) .

Have fun , and be safe out there .

later , jim

thanks so much about reminding me to open up the heater box i surely will pretty sure the vin will be all good the last owner had it for a few decades and most of that time it was his daily driver but i dont know what the rear is so ill be looking that up (it will probably be getting replaced later on) the car was all original except the body color he had it repainted at some time. I'm a pinstriper/goldleaf/sign artist so this is my busy season only am home a little bit to get anything done but the heater box and research i can handle :)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
looks like only the footwell area would need replacing. are you guys planning on replacing the whole pan, even under the seat? maybe the pictures are misleading.

-Rusty

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,212 Posts
Hey Jen , more reading for you :

My 72' Project Build | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

current SNS member = J Mark . . . . . doing his 72 Nova rebuild . . . .

He starts off with "replacing his front (floor pans) & toe boards . A really good 'build thread' .

just some of that = "done that & been there" . . . . info .

(plus , just all around good guy . . . . )

jim

Reactions: HotrodJen

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
looks like only the footwell area would need replacing. are you guys planning on replacing the whole pan, even under the seat? maybe the pictures are misleading.

-Rusty
That will be determined by my husband he’s the metal guy but it’s better to have more than what ya need then not enough :) that’s why I went for the half pans

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

‘well thanks to Jim I learned about the hidden Vins checked mine out and they match just fine also no mouse house in the heater core area so that’s a plus

I also took Off all the window and drip rail/vinyl top trim and yanked the vinyl top off I really wanted to see if the roof was in bad shape or not since I’ll be ordering More sheet metal in didn’t know if I would have to add that to my list and I’m completely thrilled to say it’s perfect no rusting, even the drip rails are solid
i for one never liked vinyl tops so this will not be going back to being one.

also this is such a wonderful forum I was able to quickly look up how to remove the quarter panel vinyl top trim piece without going crazy and Damaging it.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,120 Posts
If you don't like vinyl tops you could always go with a two tone paint or you will have to eliminate the chrome strip between the top and the bottom.

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
now that is a sweet color combo! i'm replacing both quarter panels(full sail) and eliminating all side trim planning on a dark grey nova with black interior.

If you don't like vinyl tops you could always go with a two tone paint or you will have to eliminate the chrome strip between the top and the bottom.
View attachment 419691

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

While literally waiting for paint(lettering) to dry on the gmc truck in doing for a customer I got to scraping the glue residue off the top today. :)

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,120 Posts
Wow that looks like it is coming off pretty good. I never tried to remove a vinyl top but always figured it would be a pain.

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Good progress. Do you have the trim rings and center caps for those current wheels? Camaro guys pay lots of money for those if they're original pieces (saw the trim rings going for $1000 on eBay when I bought my Z28 wheels...).
I unfortunately do not I heard the og ones bring good $$ , these wheels will eventually be for sale

21 - 40 of 51 Posts