Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
As i said in my intro i'll be doing a Nova build thanks to my husband for grabbing this 1970 nova for me, it was a estate/friend deal came with a ton of extra parts and as you can see will need quite a lot of love. I'm familiar with novas more so than my husband but we are both gearheads i grew up wrenching on my dads 67 chevelle and had a nova in the past, and he has a 29 roadster and a few other gems & worked in classic mustang restoration for years so i think the both of us can tackle this one :)

This is a 6cyl automatic car that was a daily driver in nj for a long time. My end goal is to have it a dark gun metal grey(i wanted my last one that so i dont think i'll change my mind) stance is pretty important to me i want it low to the ground more so in the front of course. I like the pro touring stance and the idea of great handling not a fan of modern wheels so rally wheels it will sport like my old one. We picked up a 350 with a 4sp muncie after the '70 was revealed to me, originally we this 350 was going to be the husbands and the 4sp mine, he has a 71 K20 the engine will go into, but for now the one thats in the k20 is still ticking so we are going to slam this 350 in the nova for now to start doing the 6cly to v8 conversion and i have the old 350 out of my last nova to refreshen that will eventually find home in the '70 that will be matched with a 5sp because i love driving and have no issue taking off on a cross country trip in a old car over drive will be nice to have that 350 and 5sp will be part of the final stage of the rebuild. The suspension is what ill have to do some digging into have been looking at QA1, speed tech, detriot speed front suspenion and also torque arms, interior will get buckets up front, i like the stock look of the interior but also have been eyeballin TMI interiors for them, anywhoo those are my thoughts, and dreams things may change.

This stage is the v8 conversion and getting the body figured out, then suspension and interior not going to blow it apart all at once because we are also in the middle of upgrading a house to sell it move and then build/ find a bigger garage. so right now little pieces will be done and try to keep it semi movable incase it needs to move around a lot.

the day i got it, there is a video i may try and figure out how to link it, i was in total shock

above is the really bad side, but every panel will be getting replaced

the rest of the 4 wheel toys minus the 2 modern chevy's behind the k20

we yanked the 6cly out this past weekend, this weekend taking the fenders off and cleaning the engine compartment up

good thing about oil leaks in the northeast is it keeps things from rusting out too bad if its close to the motor haha but it makes for a big clean up

for being a NJ car and a daily driver at that for a few decades the floors are not what i thought they would look like( so far) the 2 spots that we have found without looking super close were 1 spot right at the gar pedal and then 1 spot high on the trunk floor not in the spare wheel space but up like the back window was leaking at some point and its pretty small, but those pretty small spots usually grow so we shall see when we get back there

some new parts mixed with some old parts :)

thats all i have right now,
stay tuned this weekend ill add some more thanks for looking

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,934 Posts
Hi Jen . . . . .

Jumping right in there . . . . I like your "go - get - em" . . . . and , th ' 29 .

but ................................. (I like th' Six ) . . . . . . .

. . . . later , jim

Reactions: HotrodJen

·
Registered
620 Posts
Roadster, panel van, k20, two daily drivers, Nova restoration, house upgrading, moving and building/buying new place. Is that all ya'll got to keep you busy? lol

Welcome from Mississippi to both you and your husband. Post as you go on your build. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think its so cool your hubby bought it for you, and that you've wasted no time tearing it down. Keep us updated cause I cant wait to see this build finished (y)

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roadster, panel van, k20, two daily drivers, Nova restoration, house upgrading, moving and building/buying new place. Is that all ya'll got to keep you busy? lol

Welcome from Mississippi to both you and your husband. Post as you go on your build. Good luck and enjoy.
Thank ya! i'm a full time self employed Pinstriper/gold leafer/lettering artist who does not know what boredom feels like haha :)

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
looking forward to seeing more of this build. I could spend a few hours looking around that garage. Please- a little more info on the Triumph and the other project bike on the stand.

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks! to tell ya the truth i don't know a lot about the motorcycles haha one thing i do not pay much attention too is his motorcycle collection it grows, it dwindles and then grows again. The triumph with the red tank is a 72 t100 and he built that in a "desert sled" fashion and then the yellow tank bike is a triumph i think on a 71 frame and it will be built like a dirt bike he's got some other frames and engines floating around if you are on Instagram his name on there where he posts about the bike builds is @jeremiahmthomas

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
today we pulled the fenders off i stripped the trim that was left on them off, lights, emblems, and took the inner fenders off the fenders.
Jeremiah got the exhaust, fuel line and gas tank out. then we discovered when setting the car back on the floor the body mount near the fire wall the bracket is rotted

so now we will be taking the subframe out and weld a new piece in, but i'll be buying new body mount/bushings sooner than later now to figure out which ones i want to order in :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I jumped on here tonight to post an introduction and detail this horrible electrical issue I'm having, and then scrolling through some recent posts, I see a familiar face! Had no clue you got a nova! Been following your work forever on IG, used to be an avid painter and striper before I got my daily gig. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I jumped on here tonight to post an introduction and detail this horrible electrical issue I'm having, and then scrolling through some recent posts, I see a familiar face! Had no clue you got a nova! Been following your work forever on IG, used to be an avid painter and striper before I got my daily gig. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
heyyy haha the husband was wondering how long it would take for someone to recognize me i told him different circles! i dont know if i can put links to videos or not in here but click > ( Nova surprise ) - the video on IG of me getting the 70.

i saw your paint work its really good! you should pick it up time to time when ya have free time. hope you figure out your electrical issue my last nova the 72 i felt like i was chasing electrical gremlins for years they suck

·
Registered
815 Posts
good progress so far!

where are you guys at (roughly) in central PA? maybe we can see it in person at a local show when it's done.

in the meantime, have fun with your project.

-Rusty

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good progress so far!

where are you guys at (roughly) in central PA? maybe we can see it in person at a local show when it's done.

in the meantime, have fun with your project.

-Rusty
Im located in Hummelstown right next to Hershey. when this car is road worthy it will be on the road a lot and at shows when its in its final stage :) are you in PA also?

·
Registered
6 Posts
heyyy haha the husband was wondering how long it would take for someone to recognize me i told him different circles! i dont know if i can put links to videos or not in here but click > ( Nova surprise ) - the video on IG of me getting the 70.

i saw your paint work its really good! you should pick it up time to time when ya have free time. hope you figure out your electrical issue my last nova the 72 i felt like i was chasing electrical gremlins for years they suck
I sulked most of today and didn't wrench on anything. Now its 730 and ready to freeze my butt off in the garage and make something happen. Are you able to get out and work on this whip much? Got big plans for it? Big thanks on the compliment, means alot coming from an amazing artist. I've got flakes, cabdies, pearls, and 50 cans of hopefully not dead one-shot sitting in the garage, I'm sure I'll find an excuse to throw lines down sooner or later.
I hope you get fancy with the paint on this thing!

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sulked most of today and didn't wrench on anything. Now its 730 and ready to freeze my butt off in the garage and make something happen. Are you able to get out and work on this whip much? Got big plans for it? Big thanks on the compliment, means alot coming from an amazing artist. I've got flakes, cabdies, pearls, and 50 cans of hopefully not dead one-shot sitting in the garage, I'm sure I'll find an excuse to throw lines down sooner or later.
I hope you get fancy with the paint on this thing!
i would not want to deal with your winters up there! i got the nova in the middle of September and we are just now tearing into it, had to wait for title stuff to get in order and my fall and dec time is usually insane work wise. so its been 2 weekend in a row so far and looks like it will be a weekend thing for awhile in the midst of home repairs lol no heat in the garage but thats why they make cold weather gear hahaha. i think im gonna keep the paint pretty plain jane on it but it will be a few years until the final paint scheme comes around but ill probably throw down on it in the spring for the fun of it . your 1shot wont die! just heat it up and shake the hell out of it :)

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

It was above 40 degrees today so we got the front degreased the best we could :)

·
Registered
1970 chevy nova
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 weekends in a row of no Nova work :( paint work and house remodel took over the last two weekends but this coming weekend hoping to pull the subframe out from under it, is it friday yet ? hahha

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
My 65 took 16 years to get on the road ( I know you wont be that long:D). People would ask me if I was working on it and I would often say " not physically often but always mentally- Always thinking of what needs to be done and how to do it."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts