Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was finished putting a 98 Vortec motor in my 76. But when I crawled under to put in the torque converter bolts I couldn't believe that the holes in the flywheel were a different diameter than the converter.

I guess I should have swapped it out with the original flywheel, but I gave it a quick inspection and convinced myself that it was the same.

Do any of you guys know if I can move the trans back enough to have room to change out the flywheel without completely dropping the trans?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Should be able to, I did mine. You can get longer bolts to put in bottom of bell housing to trans so it doesn't drop out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell you how deflated I was when I realized what I'd done. This is my second setback. A couple of days ago I went to fill up the radiator and heard water pouring out the back of the motor. Ends up the gaskets my intake manufacturer recomended let the Vortec heads leak like a sieve. An internet search turned me on to the upgraded Felpro MS98000t gasket set that does a better job. All for the low price of $59.99. Add to that cost the crank case full of synthetic oil that was full of water I had to replace.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Somehow I can relate :rolleyes:. I should have been done with my project months ago. Take it one problem at a time, then move on. When I start to hurry, I start to fight something and it takes even longer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to try undoing one side of the crossmember so it can pivot back with the rear mount still attached.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I managed to get mine out by undoing the bottom four bellhousing bolts and loosening the top two. Driveshaft was out. I loosened up the mount as well and slid it all the way back. Got the bolts out one at a time, spinning the motor around as I went. It's a PITA, but I've done worse things on cars.

Kev

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I feel stupid. I started taking the bellhousing bolts out and while I was under there I looked at the converter again just to feel the mismatch again. Well I was surprised when it didn't miss match. What the heck?

So I climbed out and looked at the old flywheel I had sitting on the shelf. Lo and behold they have six holes. Two sets of three to fit two different diameters. All I ever had to do was rotate the converter to the next set.

Funny I had never noticed this before. Luckily I hadn't spent too much time un hooking the transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts