Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 76 Broncho rear end (free by the way!!!). Found out it has the small bearing ends on it. I got it with axles and backing plates/brakes, no center section. I previously bought a 31 spline spool slightly used - 1/2 price.

Question -
Since its a 28 spline small bearing housing, would it be worth it to buy new bearing ends and 31 spline axles or just run what i brung with the 28 spline and buy a new spool? At this point, i just need to re-drill the wheel pattern to Chevy, get a center section and roll...

My build is a (budget) 10 second Nova - 5-600 HP small block, footbrake TH350, 200 shot of nitrous.
I still need to get springs (calverts) and caltracks bars, then setup a cage but i'm dealing with suspension first.

(do 'budget' and '10 seconds' even go in the same sentence? - :devil:haha)

Thanks for your experience and opinion!:D

Gary

·
4,517 Posts
I would upgrade to the 31 spline axles & spool. I've seen way too many stock mustangs twist off the end of the axles when running the stock 28 spline shafts with a spool. They do make a conversion bearing so you can run the 31 spline axles in the small bearing ends if trying to keep the costs down. I would get new large bearing ends if the budget allows.

Miles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts