Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started a thread inquiry about welding oil pan and then discoverd damage not as bad as I thought, so am trying JB Weld as per some advice. So thought I would document it for others who wish to try when faced with some pan damage.
Original thread:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126326

These pics are of damage from hitting a dip in the road, slight oil weepage from 2 points, other areas suspect also

slight weep from this area at corner

slight weep from this area at corner

I drained oil
cleaned damaged pan areas with brake clean
wire wheeled off paint/rust, etc
sanded with course grit to give JB rough surfuce to adhere to
cleaned again with brake clean
Dried with paper towel
Applied JB weld with old scrap peice of tin, using as " mini-trowel" to work into scuffs, indentations and grooves with known oil weeping and suspect areas as well. The front of pan was scuffed but presented no deep gouges or issues. However. I applied a layer of JB along it for extra protection and strenghtening, should I scuff again.

I will let dry overnight sand/file JB weld areas and apply another coat of JB weld. Note: Using mechanical/industrial grade JB. Not quick dry.

Will keep you posted on next steps and results

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I had a radiator leak...Used JB and leak stopped after drying the next day...sanded it then painted it...No one could tell the diff.?:no:

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Them are some good pics considering you're laying under a car taking them. Looks like you're fix will hold forever.

I have a 7 quart pan on my car and I hit something that sounded like a chain or like 500 glass bottles. It was dark so I did not see what it was. Sounded like the cast aluminum trans pan shattered or something. Watched the oil press gauge and paid close attention to the shifts till I found a gas station. Got out and looked and could not find a trace of any impact or leaking at all. Got lucky.

·
Registered
996 Posts
i used jb quik on my turbo oil return line. didn't leak at all.
worked great, but didn't look as nice as your repair

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sanded the first application of JB, and added another. Sanded that and painted it. All while in the car. What a time saver :). The JB is holding well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts