Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After last year I haven't been to a drag strip since everything happened at Indy. I haven't been to one let alone raced at one since. I have been contemplating a few other forms of racing to try to get into just because of everything that happend. I really think I am going to consider drag racing in the dragster this year. Its what my uncle would have wanted. I don't know how things are going to affect me mentally but I think it would be better for me to find out than not to. I'm no pro but I was good at drag racing and I had alot of fun doing it. I think enough time has passed and I am ready to get back out there and race again. Over winter everything on the motor was freshened up, got a new set of BAE heads and we sent the blower and had it freshened up as well. My uncle Dwight said he wanted to make sure it was ready for me. It's ready to go it's just waiting on me. I have seen alot of people hurt and some killed but it never played on me mentally like it did last summer. I told Al in a pm I am not affraid to die I just hope if I go its quick and I dont suffer. The more I think about it the more I miss it.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Sorry for being nosey, but what happened at Indy? I take it you crashed pretty bad. I went on my lid at the 1982 Norwalk World Nats. Barrel rolled my friends Monza in the Pro Gas finals. I got into another car the next week. You either got to get back into another car, or give it up all together. You can't dwell on the crash. If it wasn't your fault, rethink what happened and figure out if you could've prevented it from happening. If it was your fault, learn from it. I can only speak for myself, but everytime we strap into one of these things, something can happen. Sometimes it's mechanical and we can't do a thing about it. Sometimes it's a mistake. The one thing you CAN'T think about, is if it's going to happen again every time we get in. Just be sure the car is safe, and go back to doing what you love to do. My .02. I personally would like to see you race again. Dave

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
it sux

It really sux when you got to do this for a while and now you can't. I'm recovering from a injury at work that they told me i'd never recover from. What keeps me fighting this more than anything ??? I want to go back racing. I had 3 disks in my neck bad and 2 in my lower back. I've had one removed from my neck already and another one may need to be removed in the future but not yet. They did a procedure to my back yesterday and it did provide some relief but after they got in there looking around they want to do another one in a month so its still a waiting game.

If i had a wreck at the track i don't know how i'd feel about that but i do know , this doesn't come out of your system very easily.

Looking at everything now from a distance , it seems everybody is so concerned with going faster and faster and the fun factor of just getting to do this is kinda forgotton.

Loading up the car and the tools , hangin' out at the track , helping a friend work on something , digging through your spare stuff that somebody there needs and forgot to bring , firing up the grill , couple burgers, comparing time slips , thats what its all about.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Loading up the car and the tools , hangin' out at the track , helping a friend work on something , digging through your spare stuff that somebody there needs and forgot to bring , firing up the grill , couple burgers, comparing time slips , thats what its all about.
Other than actually running my car. This what I look forward to when I go to the track. And right now I am missing a HOLE BUNCH!:yes:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Sorry for being nosey, but what happened at Indy? I take it you crashed pretty bad. I went on my lid at the 1982 Norwalk World Nats. Barrel rolled my friends Monza in the Pro Gas finals. I got into another car the next week. You either got to get back into another car, or give it up all together. You can't dwell on the crash. If it wasn't your fault, rethink what happened and figure out if you could've prevented it from happening. If it was your fault, learn from it. I can only speak for myself, but everytime we strap into one of these things, something can happen. Sometimes it's mechanical and we can't do a thing about it. Sometimes it's a mistake. The one thing you CAN'T think about, is if it's going to happen again every time we get in. Just be sure the car is safe, and go back to doing what you love to do. My .02. I personally would like to see you race again. Dave
65 post, you have a PM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts