Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's PAINTED & BUFFED now finally

IT's PAINTED!!!!
It came out just short of perfect for a garage paint job with a 15 buck paint gun. Almost no dirt in the paint and the metallic is perfect, no molting or anything. Only thing is orange peal which you see in the pictures. But I cut (1000) half my trunk today and buffed it. Check out the reflection in the bottom pics.

I used a 15 buck Harbor Freight HVLP gun, Visqueened the entire garage, cleaned the floor many times, put a small box fan in the corner facing out and wet sanded the primer about an hour before I started, ( I had already twice wetsanded the primer, but they say its best to paint within 24 hours of sanding, so I scuffed and de-greased it then waited an hour and shot it. The paint is PPG which @ one to one reducing gave me 3 coats of color and the I used Napa clear the Acme FC720 and put 7 coats of clear. So in other words, I can buff my *** off and shouldn't cut thru the clear.
The paint is stupid exspensive so had to find a clear I could afford. 660 for the paint and only 59, with the hardener, for the clear and it looks awesome. Pictures don't do it justice.
Also, if you havem't seen my posts from over the last 7 or so years, this is the Copperhead Metallic from the show TRUCKS when Stacey & Kevin did this 67 Chevy pickup he named Copperhead

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Great job!!!:yes:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Came out real nice regardless if it came out of a garage or not. I'd be stoked:yes:

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looks really good!! Have you done many paint jobs prior to this?

I have never painted a car. I read ever article I could get my hands on, on the process. I made a few test panels to get the feel of the gun. Here is a fun note, I actually bought a Sada Jet digital gun, and most people know them but every time I tried tests with it I couldn't control it. Now if I had someone show me how to set it up Im sure I could get used to it but at the cost of the paint I couldn't keep wasting it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have never painted a car. I read ever article I could get my hands on, on the process. I made a few test panels to get the feel of the gun. Here is a fun note, I actually bought a Sada Jet digital gun, and most people know them but every time I tried tests with it I couldn't control it. Now if I had someone show me how to set it up Im sure I could get used to it but at the cost of the paint I couldn't keep wasting it.

Just keep playing with the sata, you will get it. Thats all i spray with i have 5 satas.

As for your car, looks great. Only thing i see that i would have done different is 7 coats of clear, Should have put 3 coats on, let dry for 1 day, then sand smooth with 1000 grit then dry car off, re clean, and put 3 more coats on. Putting more then 3 coats on will let the solvents get trapped in the paint.

But since ur sanding the sh*t out and buffing you shouldnt have anyproblem.

Keep up the work.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
as everyone else has said it looks beautiful and i can't wait to see the finished product

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Looks great. !!

Is seven or several coats of clear normal? I need to double check but I think my body guy only gave mine 2 coats of clear over 3 coats of paint. Seems ok to me but I was hoping for a thicker, more durable finish. During assembly I already got a few nicks. I don't care too much cause this is a driver but it seemed in a few spots that it chipped too easily. especially around my hinges where parts contacted each other. Also a small area when I installed my trunk lock. We used top of the line PPg clear, can't recall the number off hand but it was lmost 200 a gallon.

If more coats are better, I guess I can always put the car together, tape it off real good, and add more clear...right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts