Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I finally got it. A 4” Stinger hood from Glasstek for my ‘74. I have been waiting to get this hood for months. According to Glasstek, they have sold about 9 of these hoods. The interesting thing is that there are no pictures of one anywhere actually on a car, Glasstek doesn't even have one! I personally think it is awesome. A lot of people have just been waiting for the first person to buy one so they can see it before they buy one. AND… HERE IT IS!

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New Stinger

When I got the hood I realized that I didn't really like how the scoop was formed. I knew it wasn't open/functional, but I didn't know the top of the scoop would go smoothly down into the scoop "opening". I thought it would be a little recessed or something. I really didn't like it. I will have to say that I was planning on cutting it out and making a servo operated door on it in the future. I just wasn't planning on doing it so soon. I had even called Glasstek and talked to them about it, to see if they had thought about doing it, no. So in faith, before even bolting it on once, I got out the saw and went at it. A few hours and some fiberglass later it looks pretty darn good. The door will be added somewhere down the road.

For now all I have to do is watch the people look as I drive by. And I guess I need to get some hood pins. One of the stickers on the hood said they really recommend them. I am hesitating because I want to go with a real clean look. Ultimately no trim, no door handles, etc. But maybe I will have to. Aerocatch makes some cool ones.

On another note, Glasstek says I need to paint this hood within a couple of months. I don't have the money or desire to paint the whole car right now, so I am looking for options taking into account a few things.

1. The car is 99% painted with rattlecan primer. Some of it is too thin and is rusting thru.
2. It needs minor bodywork, (small dings, small rust in the rockers, fill trim holes.
3. I have a good gun and a good place to paint myself.
4. I can't fix all the body problems before I paint the hood.
5. I would like the car to be one color.

What would be the best primer or paint to use to temporarily stop the rust and also protect the new hood for a few years?

Thanks for your help.
Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
looks good, I am working on fabbing my hood to be a 2 inch stinger hood, PO cut a hole above the air cleaner, and I have always liked the stinger hoods, and figured making one out of the hood i have and making it somewhat functional shouldn't be too big of a deal.

are you going to paint it body color or keep it black?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts