Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not widely celebrated, but I celebrate 327 day once a year. Everyone had their favorite SBC, but this one is mine, as it was the next big thing from Chevrolet in the '60's. They crammed some into a few Chevy II/Novas during that time. Among a bunch of 1st and 2nd generation Novas, I've had 3 factory 327 cars: a '67 sport coupe with 327/275 and a PG, a '66 L79 sport coupe, and a '65 wagon 327/250 with 4-speed. The Tahitian Turquoise one is one I restored more than 20 years ago, and the maroon one is a car some members will recognize. It's a 327/300 4-speed car, belongs to my brother Dave, and was being used that day to take his beetle to the drags.

I'm still searching for an engine shot on the wagon I had, but it's been a long time, and I wasn't big on pictures at the time. I know a bunch of members have 327 cars, and some amazing L79 cars, too. Stuck at home today, so it was post this or start right in on pulling out a birch planted too close to a wall long ago, so I procrastinate still.
Frank_wagon.jpeg
IMG_0740.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
alley....... i have to say this, save a tree eat a beaver.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clean, clean engine compartments. Redrider, that's squared away! And so many of those ended up in early Fords that it was almost as if GM made it with a Model A or '32 in mind. One of the coolest 327 swaps I ever saw was in a deuce coupe, but it looked, for every nut and bolt and fastener, paint and part, like it was lifted from a '62 Impala. Like a straight swap from the middle of 1962.

·
13,715 Posts
The ultimate 327 in the short history of the Chevy II/Nova.

Bob

L79eng.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's pretty much it. The others are great, but that's the difference maker. So many were put in other cars, hotrods, etc. that many left their original donor car. I just bought a '63 Chevy II wagon, and if money were no object, I'd shoot for a '62 or '63 era 327 with Corvette F.I., T-10 and narrowed Impala rear. Nice shot, Bob.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts

Our little 327 in the Durango Deuce with a C&S Specialties 2-bbl...

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
What’s the story on that master cylinder booster setup? I know it’s an oem GM part but it’s an angled unit.. I have some like that from Gbody applications but the firewall mount area is angled up on those cars. So everything lines up and the master cylinder ends up fairly level..

Our little 327 in the Durango Deuce with a C&S Specialties 2-bbl...

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe is that a truck of yours or a client's? Looks like pretty close to a straight pull out and drop in with the fan and clutch looking pretty stock. I didn't know that's what the Durango Deuce was running, but it makes sense to me. I assume the 2bbl is to comply with the race rules, or is it that it's more reliable in a race that long or remote?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
It was my ex gf and mine.. I wanted to run a 327 in it and looked hi and low finally found the one pictured in the truck. It came out of a 67 El Camino that was getting an
LS drivetrain. So we scored everything from the radiator to the drive shaft and it was mated to a TH350 trans. It was a really good deal to get such a complete drivetrain setup all in one shot.. The engine had been decked so the engine ID numbers were gone.. The casting number was a 327 number..

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
779 Posts
A little late to the party but it's still 3/27.
327:300.JPG

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
What’s the story on that master cylinder booster setup? I know it’s an oem GM part but it’s an angled unit.. I have some like that from Gbody applications but the firewall mount area is angled up on those cars. So everything lines up and the master cylinder ends up fairly level..
The m/c is from a late 70's GM midsize car, like a Cutlass. The booster is from a Chevette mounted on a custom bracket that replicated the OEM angle of the m/c. This gave me more clearance for the lines coming out on the fender side.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Is the chevette booster a small diameter and does it have a 4 bolt mounting pattern. I have a 86 S10 master cylinder with booster fitted on my 63 project. But the booster is pretty big..
D5DAD9A9-9E0F-4C31-9649-0F4A44E1C014.png
C22487EF-2594-4716-B906-DF3410939CDF.jpeg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts