Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is This Normal?

New to Edelbrock carbs.

It is a 1406 was recently rebuilt but always notice very strong smell of gas. Finally popped off air cleaner and saw there is a fair amount of gas visible in the back sides only (please see the highlighted areas).

Is this normal? Would think that it is not. Floats supposedly set as per rebuilt kit.

Thanks for all advice,
-Rusty

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Edited the photo for clarity. Hoping someone else has an Edelbrock carb and can check.

Thanks much,
-Rusty

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
I do not have an Edelbrock carb, but having gas puddle on the top as you have indicated is probably NOT normal (and could be a potential fire hazard).

My guess is that the float level(s) is set to high, some dirt in one... or both of the needle & seats, or fuel pressure is to high.
*Did you do the rebuild this carb?... or someone else?
*Did you have similar problems with this carb prior to the rebuild?
*When the engine is running (with the air cleaner removed), do you see any gas coming out from the top of the carb? (please wear safety goggles during this inspection)

I would remove the carb, recheck both float levels, inspect/clean the needles and seats (replace if necessary), and check that all gaskets are correct and properly positioned/seated during the rebuild. Also check that all of the carb component fasteners are properly tightened... but not over torqued or stripped.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
492 Posts
New to Edelbrock carbs.

It is a 1406 was recently rebuilt but always notice very strong smell of gas. Finally popped off air cleaner and saw there is a fair amount of gas visible in the back sides only (please see the highlighted areas).

Is this normal? Would think that it is not. Floats supposedly set as per rebuilt kit.

Thanks for all advice,
-Rusty
I don't believe it is normal...but my 1406 does it too. I bought it new and have had the carb apart a couple times for this very reason; new gaskets, float level check, etc, and it still does it. My other gripe with this carb is it does not 'keep' fuel in it over a week or so. Let it sit for over a week and it is nearly dry. Sheesh!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Have you tried calling Edelbrock tech support? They will more than likely give you an excuse but it’s worth a shot.

I have an Eddie 1406 too and haven’t noticed this. I’ll have to take a looksie.

Good luck!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tech support is the next move.

Wanted to hear what real world people have to say, though, first.

The carb was said to be good, sat with gas for quite some time, fouled the inline gas filters and the carb leaked gas, seals shot. Heard the ethanol is ruining gaskets due to inactivity.

Rebuilt by the old man (40 years experience on carbs, but NONE with Edelbrock). Set it and forget it.

Smelled gas, all the time though. Finally looked in and saw as listed above.

We have zero knowledge of the "Eddy" (love that, BTW!) and just didn't know if this was okay. Carb runs fine otherwise. But man, the gas smell gets a bit much. Of course, smells similar out back after replacing the sending unit, though all is tight back there, too.

-Rusty

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think RifRaf made a lot of good points for diagnosis. However, I'm toward one of his suggestion in particular: fuel pressure. I would be curious to know what your fuel pressure is at idle and at cruising speed. Even a perfectly good needle and seat can be overwhelmed by a fuel pump, so it's worth checking. I put an inline fuel pressure regulator on my car to resolve the problem of a pump that was putting out way more pressure than its maximum factory rating.

Gerry

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't believe it is normal...but my 1406 does it too. I bought it new and have had the carb apart a couple times for this very reason; new gaskets, float level check, etc, and it still does it. My other gripe with this carb is it does not 'keep' fuel in it over a week or so. Let it sit for over a week and it is nearly dry. Sheesh!
Fuel not staying in the carb is normal. Carburetors are not closed systems like fuel injection, they're vented at the float bowl. So it's normal for the gasoline to evaporate over time.

Gerry

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I had a Carter AFB (same carb different name) on my 58. I have an attached garage so every time I took it out it would smell up the house after I parked it. I also had fuel in the same location as you after doing a complete rebuild and float level check to try and fix it. Also the gas would evaporate out of the float bowls after a week and make it hard to start the next time.

I now have a Holley and all those problems are gone. The Carter was my dad's favorite carb, I got the car from him and that is why it was on the car. It now serves as a wall decoration in my shed.

Let us know what you find out on the fuel sitting in those areas. I have a stock crate engine from the 90's with a stock fuel pump that works just fine with the holley, so I dont expect fuel pressure was my problem.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I had a Carter AFB doing the same thing after replacing some fuel line and putting in a new in line filter. I suspect some debris has passed into the carb and created an obstruction in the needle and seat allowing more fuel to enter the carb body.. I swapped to another AFB I had and it behaved properly. It freaked me out seeing fuel boiling in the carb. It had been fine before the filter and line replacement.. I haven’t opened it up to verify my suspicions but the old fuel line was brittle and cracking..

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Attached below is a link to rebuilding an Edelbrock Carb. These videos seem very detailed and will give you some insight to the inner workings of your carb (and will help explain some of my observations shown below).
What I found interesting (based on the issues you and CEW are having) is how the top portion of the carb attaches to the body of the carb. The fuel bowls are located right next to the areas that you are noticing gas (secondary counterweight areas). It might be possible that the gasket located between the top portion of the carb and the body is not sealing the area between the fuel bowls and the secondary counterweight areas.

It seems that if the top portion of the carb was warped... or the sealing surface/lip was damaged in any way, it may not completely seal off the fuel bowls from the secondary counterweight areas (where you are seeing gas). It might be worth removing the top portion of your carb and checking the sealing surfaces (underside of top portion + top side of body) with a straight edge... and look for any signs of damage.

I also found it interesting that the attachment screws that hold the top portion of the carb to the body are located around the outside perimeter of the carb... but no screws towards the inside portion to help seal off the fuel bowls from the secondary counterweight area (where you are noticing gas).

P.S. One other thing to check is that both floats do not have any holes in them and are completely sealed (submerse floats under water and look for air bubbles coming out of the float).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great stuff, RifRaf!

Called Edelbrock tech a few hours ago. He asked if it was noticed directly after driving--knew where he was going with this. Said no, it's like this after not having not driven car for at least a week.

Said send annotated picture to email, took my number and said he'd call back.

Eagerly awaiting reply.

-Rusty

·
Registered
197 Posts
AFB carbs are super sensitive to boil in todays gas, they also do not like more than 6 PSI from the fuel pump. It will push fuel out and get worse as it boils, they are a simple carb though. Check what your PSI is.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Edelbrock tech called back, didn't know, had to ask his boss.

Asked if there was a phenolic spacer. Said yes.

Boss said the gas is probably boiling out and then dripping in, and need to wrap/insulate the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb.

Also said it may be misadjusted float.

Specs were followed for the rebuild, so the float seems unlikely, plus other members stated checking this and it was fine.

The car has been driven twice to ambient temp, and we are talking like five minutes. Could the gas boil that quickly with outside temps of ~ 40 degrees F? I kind of find that unlikely.

No mention of the mating surfaces possibly being messed up, or fuel pump pressure check. It is a stock fuel pump for a 66 nova, though.

Will most likely get a new Holley or a Quickfuel. Just want the reliability.

But first, an easy test is to suck out the gas at the sides, fire it up for a bit, and see if any gas makes its way back in. Rationale being that no way it will boil with the hood up and engine cold, so if gas gets back in, this is not the culprit.

Then it's only fuel pump pressure, gaskets/mating surfaces, or float.

Is it common for a stock mechanical fuel pump to deliver too much pressure?

Thanks for all the advice! Nothing beats Steve's!

-Rusty

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
UPDATE:Will most likely get a new Holley or a Quickfuel. Just want the reliability.

But first, an easy test is to suck out the gas at the sides, fire it up for a bit, and see if any gas makes its way back in. Rationale being that no way it will boil with the hood up and engine cold, so if gas gets back in, this is not the culprit.

Then it's only fuel pump pressure, gaskets/mating surfaces, or float.
To help see if the fuel leak is due to the gaskets/mating surfaces as stated in my previous post, during your test shown above... you may also need to drive your car around a little so the gas "sloshes around" some in the fuel bowls.

Please keep us posted if you find the issue.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
492 Posts
Following this with interest as I have the same problem with the 1406 on the AMC 360 in my CJ7.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Pop and I attacked carb last night. Incredible how quick a task goes with four hands!

Pulled off top half (air horn assembly) after removing attaching screws and metering rod assemblies (and linkages, of course). Floats were off a bit, one certainly more than the other. Adjusted floats to factory settings (between base and float 7/16 when flipped upside down and gasket on AND floats need to be in horizontal position--they were not. Then 15/16 right side up and gasket on) in the rebuild kit. Pop now says he does not remember checking them. Ugh. But hey, live and learn.

Also noticed that gaskets on secondary venturi cluster were soaked with gas.
Tightened secondary venturi cluster torx screws a little extra.

Fired up car, no gas--so far. No time to take it for a spin but hope to today and will then update.

-Rusty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts