Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
14,584 Posts
I believe that unless he has a build sheet to go with that vin # he has no way to prove it is what he says.. IMO selling that particular item should be illegal. There are other hidden vins on all cars and they would not match what the dash tag says.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,635 Posts
So he's only selling what's in the 2nd and 3rd pictures, which is the cowl tag, VIN and the title. Pretty sure that's illegal and goes against eBays rules.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Seems to me that it's a way to "legalize" one of our stolen cars unless the authorities check the other tags. A few different parts, wheels, paint, registration in a different state and the theif is good to go.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There is a large company building 57 Chevys using existing firewalls with VIN tags and they seem to be getting away with it. If someone took the firewall and used it in an existing car without a VIN or title then that is definitely illegal but if they took aftermarket parts and rebuilt the car off the firewall would that be considered illegal? Its basically the same as cutting all the rusted out metal out of a car and replacing it with new. Don't get me wrong I certainly wouldn'tgo thru all the trouble but IMO it depends on what the buyer decides to do with the tags and title.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It is in some states and not in others, the trouble here is someone will try to profit from deception with this.:mad: They only saving grace maybe that there is no paper work to back up the L78, and the VIN doesn't show that it was ever a BB or SS.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
This is the deal.

By selling the items on the 2nd and 3rd picture only,he is breaking the law!
Several laws if it were to have any part of the transaction in the state of OK.

Selling a vin tag without a car is illegal in all 50 states!

Selling a trim tag to and from the state of Ok is illegal!

If he were to sell the entire front cowl with vin tag and trim tag attached and un altered. He would not be breaking any laws! But the item description cannot say parts as it does in this case!
It would have to be considered a vehicle and described as such!

This is where the gray area comes in!.....

How much of a car is considered a car????

Somebody can take that cowl and weld onto it! to complete the body.

They cannot remove the trim tag or vin tag from it!

Yes, I know it’s all bull**** but that law needs to be defined….

·
Registered
211 Posts
I didn't realize the first time I read the ad that he was only selling the tags and the titleand that the tages were cut from the car. That is definitely not legal. If it were still attached to the firewall/dash like it was from the factory then it would be a different story possibly. Why would he show the firewall to begin with? Obviously he is trying to pull one over on someone.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Oddly enough, he can't really prove it's an L78 car/tag any more either!:no:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts