Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this even legal? My '70 Nova has shoulder harnesses but don't hook up to the seat belt. I has a '69 Nova in '69 & as far as I remember there were no shoulder harnesses in it. I always wore my seat belt so I'm sure I'd remember. Did the law change in 1970? On my list of things to do is a roll bar with shoulder harnesses attached. But wondering if I could get a ticket as it is now? And what do I need to make it legal if it's not? Thank You! Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
The shoulder belts in my 72 back in the 70’s never came down from their mounting clips in the headliner. When I replaced the interior in my current 72 this year, I didn’t re-install the shoulder belts at all.
I don’t know if the police would or could ticket me for that. There is no indication that they were ever there so to be held to account they would have to prove that they were installed as factory equipment in 72.
I always wear the lap belt, don’t race the car and don’t feel unsafe driving it on the street.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Mike! What I got from Googling it is I need to have seat belts & shoulder harnesses... Oh I live in California which might make a difference... So I guess I need to know what the stock setup looks like....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Shoulder belts were standard in Nova's in '69 as part of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208 that mandated front outboard shoulder belts on all cars made starting Jan 1, 1968. Convertibles were excepted. Prior to that, shoulder belts WERE an available option.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You Yenko! So my '69 Nova did have shoulder belts! Well, you know what they say "If you remember the 60's you really weren't there"...

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Yes -- seat belts & "shoulder harnesses" -- but, only for the two outside positions ( on front bench seat cars -- you could have 3 people in front seat -- the center person only used a 'lap-belt).

So, when I 1st got my 69 ----- it has FIVE SEAT-BELT-BUCKLES for the front seat.
That's -- Two Buckles for the driver ; one buckle for the lap-belt & one buckle for the 'shoulder-belt' .

……………… the right side passenger ; one buckle / lap-belt & one buckle for the 'shoulder-belt' .

That's FOUR seat belt buckles !

Then, for a person riding in the center position (bench seat) ---- that person had HIS on seat-lap-belt. ------ (makes 5 each belt-buckles in the front seat ………….. all 5 buckles are still in my Nova - Today) .

And, I can say that I wondered about that for awhile myself ---------
then, it hit-me …… makes good sense now. Plus, NO shoulder belt retractors, either.

I asked that question (our son was a Chino Valley 'Cop' ) ….. what years did they consider 'cut-off' for shoulder-belts -------- 1969 .

Now, if I were too consider buying "New Seat Belts" --- I'd go with :

https://www.morrisclassic.com/

that's if you're buying other / new seat belts ………… just my 2cents .

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
You can also do a 'Search' on here ------ many SNS members have installed them in different 'gens'

Morris Classic.com ---- are SNS members , too .

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,321 Posts
I believe in California you have to use what the model/year came with. How it's enforced is another question. When I bought my "72 roller it was obvious the shoulder belts were never taken out of the clips. Retracting is the way to go.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I believe in California you have to use what the model/year came with. How it's enforced is another question. When I bought my "72 roller it was obvious the shoulder belts were never taken out of the clips. Retracting is the way to go.
This is what I've always believed but interestingly, in the wake of the Kevin Hart near fatal wreck, I read where the CHP is looking at laws that will require modified cars to have "modern, enhanced" seat belts.
I'd like to see the definition of that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My '71 is equipped the same as Twinshadows '69. I always wear both the lap and shoulder belts. Given the primitive state of safety features 48 years ago when compared with 2019, I'd like all the protection I can get.

The style and use of the belts is illustrated in the owner's manual. I realize some people may have acquired their Novas long after the owner's manual was lost, but reprints are available at a reasonable cost. I am amazed by the number of questions asked on this forum that could have been answered by looking at the owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Our two 68's do not have the same seat belt equipment.

My car only came with a lap belt

Bruce's 68 came with shoulder harness, with retaining clips near the headliner.

I have always suspected that my 68 would have the mounting bracket for the shoulder harness already under the headliner.

Comments?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
this is on a 66. i'm thinking that all novas made after 1 feb 66 have the seat belt bracket installed under the head liner. there would be a 5/32nds hole drilled on the cowl tag bottom left edge area. this cowl tag hole might only be on the 66 model year. but shoulder belt option was there to be ordered.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Our two 68's do not have the same seat belt equipment.

My car only came with a lap belt

Bruce's 68 came with shoulder harness, with retaining clips near the headliner.

I have always suspected that my 68 would have the mounting bracket for the shoulder harness already under the headliner.

Comments?
The provision in the roof structure for the shoulder belts will be on all '68's in the event the option was selected and/or if an owner desired to add them later. The provision was standard sometime in '66 as designated by a mid-year indicator on the trim tag, some type of hole I believe (I'm a 3rd gen guy, so need a 2nd gen expert to confirm this).

·
Registered
878 Posts
Has anyone retrofitted a modern style three point seat belt in their car?

Such as something like these:

https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/produ...-lsaaxoPxQTLspJpSfKuCW-Hg1LBC4poaAkJJEALw_wcB

If so, how well do they mount?

I was considering these for my big Nova.
I used that exact set on my '72 and it works well.
You will buy the adapter plate that welds to the B pillar and requires you to drill a 1/2" hole in the pillar trim so you can bolt the upper swivel bracket to the weld-on plate. The retractor bolts to the stock bolt hole in the floor using the provided L bracket.
The critical thing is to measure the placement of the weld-on bracket so that
the belt crosses your chest in the correct spot.
That said, I would not consider this set-up as a comparable replacement for the more expensive and better executed Morris system.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That said, I would not consider this set-up as a comparable replacement for the more expensive and better executed Morris system.

Thanks Alf! I took a quick look at the Morris seat belts. What makes them so much better? Is it just the quality or are there other factors?

·
Registered
878 Posts
The Morris belts are engineered to use the factory shoulder harness mounting tabs above the quarter windows. I attached the generic retractable belt/lap system to my B pillar as described. The B pillar on a gen three is not that stout plus you have to be careful welding-on the tab w/o burning the paint on the outside of the pillar.
That said, the Morris belt is not adapted....and much easier to install.
If you want to use the non-Morris system you can get them from Jeg's (black only) along with the necessary tabs for less money.
Good luck.
Alf

1 - 20 of 32 Posts