Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
couldnt tell

Couldnt really see what was happening for sure but it looked like a bad leak.
Where exactly was it coming from? It looked bad enough to need more then a chunk of gasket and some permetex.

PS engine sounded good!!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Looks like something's wrong there. Have your heads been shaved? Mybe you need a thicker set of intake gaskets. Maybe your intake is warped, did you have it checked?

·
Registered
667 Posts
That's a pretty common place for the manifold to be pitted and corroded. I've seen lots of leaks there. You need to pull the manifold and look at it. There is a reason it;s not sealing. More permatex is a patch that sometimes works, but do you want a potential failure when you're out cruising?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its anti freeze coming right out of the water jacket chamber. Ill pull it and see how it looks. This engine was given to me not running and I rebuilt the carb and cleaned the manifoild. I could get a newer manifold, assuming thats the problem but I think the smaller carb is a better choice than the common 4bbl intakes available. I have a Holley 750vs that worked when pulled, but not sure if its too big a carb. Should I get the manifold milled? will that fix a "warp"?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
PS engine sounded good!!
Thanks man :) wish it also looked good tho. I cant believe how much a difference the headers, dual plenum manifold and smaller carb make! The headers are summit brand 1-5/8 primaries with 3" collectors. were on sale for $80. Im really itching to get this car on the road. wish me luck. I cant wait to see what your new buggy will do!! :yes:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've fixed many leaks like this. The manifold is probably corroded in this area. Clean the area thoroughly down to clean metal and fill it with epoxy. The next requires some body work talent, file down the area until it's almost flat, then block sand it down flat. Hope this helps. After installation and a good heat cycle, retorque the manifold.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've fixed many leaks like this. The manifold is probably corroded in this area. Clean the area thoroughly down to clean metal and fill it with epoxy. The next requires some body work talent, file down the area until it's almost flat, then block sand it down flat. Hope this helps. After installation and a good heat cycle, retorque the manifold.
thanks, when i get it off, ill inspect it and give it a try

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yep that's a reliable fix 99% of the time.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I had a similar problem due to the heads being decked. you can buy intake gaskets that are twice as thick than stock. that will probably fix it.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, being mother's day weekend, I doubt ill be able to get the time to pull the manifold until Monday. If its pitte, I might try the epoxy and sandwich an extra piece of gasket just in that spot. If I don't see much damage, ill try the 2x thick gaskets all around

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I would not sandwitch anything! If the manifold is pitted get some original JB weld not the quick stuff. Also run a mill file across the entire sealing surface and get some good felpro gaskets, because thats a very bad leak.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I removed the manifold and the gasket has a gouge in it right in that spot. The manifold looks mint. I have an extra used gasket in good condition. They both are fel pro. I could either fill in the gouge w permatex or replace gasket.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I removed the manifold and the gasket has a gouge in it right in that spot. The manifold looks mint. I have an extra used gasket in good condition. They both are fel pro. I could either fill in the gouge w permatex or replace gasket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts